Fermenter 92L (RJS) review?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say save some money and buy a brute trash can. They are food safe and are pretty cheap at your local Home Depot. Comes in a couple different sizes as well.

Hello Wine experts,

I was wondering if anyone has used this fermenter?

http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/i...5-cda2-3365-2ce5b13a0e76&sortBy=ProductTitle&

is it sturdy? Does it ferment well? possible to put a tap and bung on it? Dimensions?

thanks everyone

Sturdy? I would say not as sturdy as a Brute, but I haven't actually compared the two.

Ferment well? I don't think you want the pail to ferment :h Since it is designed and sold as a fermenter, I would think it would work very well as a fermenter.

Tap? I think so, although I don't believe in taps, and haven't done it.

Bung? Definite waste of time doing this. If I recall rightly (several years since I sold them in my store), the lid has ribs that raise it off the top of the pail to allow gases from fermentation to escape, ie the lid doesn't seal.

Yes, I sold this pail in the store that I ran. Some customers seemed to like them. I mostly sold the 46 litre version, and used them as the primaries in the store (it was a Ferment on Premises). I still have the 46 litre pails that I use for kit making.

Steve

Last edited:
Save some $$$ and get a 20G Brute and lid. Amazon is even selling them these days. They even have the white ones and white lids to go with it. Free shipping if you are Prime.

I was looking at a similar one, only smaller. I went with the Brute and I'm glad I did. Much cheaper.

An alternative

This Speidel is what I picked up, and I'm very happy, although I haven't used it yet. As soon as I get to a double batch, it is in play.

It has an air lock for the lid, a neat cam lock that locks the lid on for secondary, and an opening at the bottom that either is closed with a screw cap or can be replaced with a valve.

Pretty slick.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-60l-159-gal.html

Latest posts

Back