Cellar Craft Fermentation Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
I've been using the classical 7.8 gal fermentation buckets for my wine making efforts. All was well until I started making the higher quality kits with grape packs.

What I now find is the bucket is too small. The gas trap bleeds wine and I'm forced to remove the lid and have it just setting on top of the bucket to create a bit more room inside. I believe this problem is the result of the bagged skins which inflate and float, occupying space which is limited on the 7.8 gal. I keep them punched down and deflated but they quickly pop back up.

I obviously need a larger bucket but from where? The best I can find is what I have.

It occurred to me that I should hold back some of the water that is added to complete the 23L. If I held back about 1/2 gal of this water, I would have sufficient room for fermentation to complete without overflowing. After fermentation slows down I could add this water to the wine and achieve the required level without overflow. I can't see how this would be detrimental to the fermentation other than the marginally stronger alcohol content of the slightly higher SG "might" impact complete fermentation??

Does anyone do this?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

I use the Food Grade Brute containers now - might consider looking into those.

Be careful how much water you add - it will thin out the wine and water it down...

Hi Sudz,
The 7.8 gallon fermenting bucket is just fine for fermenting the Cellar Craft Showcase Collection red wine kits with grape packs (or the KenRidge Founders Series reds with grapes) - I've been doing it for years with no problem whatsoever.

I will say, however, that my technique differs from yours. I do NOT snap the lid down and install the airlock on Day 1. I simply set the lid on top, without snapping it down, and without using the airlock. This is fine for the primary... not only does your yeast actually need oxygen during the first days of fermentation, but you'll be creating so much CO2 that you need not worry about oxidation due to an open fermenter (albeit largely covered, except for the hole where the airlock goes) at this stage.

I only employ the airlock once I rack into the carboy.

Hope that helps.

I don't know which kit you are making, but if you make one of the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli kits, which has one of the giant grape packs, there is no way a 7.9 will work for you. With many other grape pack kits, it is the foam that causes the problem.

The heavy foaming is not something that lasts throughout the entire primary fermentation cycle. You can divide the kit into two containers and re-combine them when things slow a bit. For that short couple of days, it won't matter if the grape pack is in only one of the containers.

At places like the bakeries at Wal-Mart and Target, you can get free food grade buckets all day. You can buy the food grade Brute trash cans at Home Depot. Even one of the 5 gallon paint buckets at Home Depot is food grade.

Next time you can do like many of use and buy a ten-gallon white fermenter bucket from one of our sponsor LHBS. They work really well, although the lid doesn't seal completely, so those of you who like to fully seal up your wine from the get-go might not like them.

I do NOT snap the lid down and install the airlock on Day 1. I simply set the lid on top, without snapping it down, and without using the airlock.

It would appear this is my new method now....:b

I was a little nervous about having the system open but do realize that good fermentation should keep things out. I guess the trick here is to resume with securing the lid and air lock once the vigor has slowed down or go ahead and rack...

An added point is the ease of access for punching down the cap.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back