Fermaid-K

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAB

Reaction score
Okay, two 6 gallon Chilean juice buckets, both with an original gravity of 1.092

Bucket 1.) Zin - Mixed in 8 grams of Avant yeast after a Go Ferm rehydration on Saturday morning.

Bucket 2.) Petit Sarah - Mixed in 5 grams of Lavin 71B yeast after a Go Ferm rehydration on Saturday morning.

Both were vigorously fermenting by mid-afternoon same day but settled down this evening. So, I took a reading this evening and got 1.065 or so on both, so I added some Fermaid-K (6 grams) to each. I'd never before tried a juice bucket nor have I ever fermented in such a small fermentation (7- bucket and a 7.5 gallon Speidel ) vessel, however, when I added the Fermaid-K it went nuts, bubbling up and nearly overflowing. WTW!?! Is that normal...and if so, what's that all about? Does that mean happy yeast?

Also, I believe I'll want to add another 6 grams each of Fermaid-K at about 1.030ish too, is that correct?

Thank you.
DAB

Okay, two 6 gallon Chilean juice buckets, both with an original gravity of 1.092

Bucket 1.) Zin - Mixed in 8 grams of Avant yeast after a Go Ferm rehydration on Saturday morning.

Bucket 2.) Petit Sarah - Mixed in 5 grams of Lavin 71B yeast after a Go Ferm rehydration on Saturday morning.

Both were vigorously fermenting by mid-afternoon same day but settled down this evening. So, I took a reading this evening and got 1.065 or so on both, so I added some Fermaid-K (6 grams) to each. I'd never before tried a juice bucket nor have I ever fermented in such a small fermentation (7- bucket and a 7.5 gallon Speidel ) vessel, however, when I added the Fermaid-K it went nuts, bubbling up and nearly overflowing. WTW!?! Is that normal...and if so, what's that all about? Does that mean happy yeast?

Also, I believe I'll want to add another 6 grams each of Fermaid-K at about 1.030ish too, is that correct?

Thank you.
DAB
Yes, it’s very normal. You’ve got a solution there that’s saturated with CO2, and you dumped in millions of nucleation sites, the CO2 grabs on to each particle, comes out of solution and rushes to the surface. Next application, pull a little wine out and dissolve your nutrients into the wine, then add it back, it’ll control the potential for overflow.

Thank you.
DAB

Yea, I made that mistake...once.

Thanks guys...live and learn. I appreciate the gouge!

Don‘t stress over it, I did it on my first kit, a MM kit which called for the addition at the time of racking from bucket to carboy. Put the must into the carboy, added the nutrients, and blew it out the top of the carboy. First and last time......

Yes, it’s very normal. You’ve got a solution there that’s saturated with CO2, and you dumped in millions of nucleation sites, the CO2 grabs on to each particle, comes out of solution and rushes to the surface. Next application, pull a little wine out and dissolve your nutrients into the wine, then add it back, it’ll control the potential for overflow.
Good info

It’s a rite of passage. You don’t learn much when everything goes perfect. Some mistakes, stuck fermentation, H2S, cloudy wine, CO2 that won’t go away, bad corks...are part of the process of becoming an experienced winemaker.

Latest posts

Back