Fauquier County, Virginia's oppressive winery ordinance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like it is tough to be a winery owner in Fauquier County, VA. They recently passed an ordinance requiring wineries to close at 6:00 pm and limits the number of public events they can host. You can't sell food, host a farmer's market or offer mini golf. It goes further to allow a zoning administrator to prohibit anything determined "to be similar in nature or in impact to" the listed activities.

http://www.hagarty-on-wine.com/OnWineBlog/?p=6624

One winery is already suing the county.

http://www2.insidenova.com/business/2012/aug/14/winery-files-lawsuit-vs-fauquier-county-ar-2130793/

I've been to Barrel Oak (whose owners have filed a suit) many times - it's only 25 minutes from my house. It's pretty much a festival out there every weekend during the summer and they do a nice job. We always enjoy going there. I do know from speaking to folks that it's pretty tough to make any kind of profit as a small commercial winery around here. I think the reason Barrel Oak has done so well is because of the "events" - they are a big draw. So I can see where this kind of law would hurt them financially. I guess it boils down to your interests/philosophy - are you strictly interested in making wine, or are you a business person who enjoys winemaking?

The other side of this coin is Linden Vineyards nearby. They have a tasting room, but their deck and grounds are only open to members of their "Case Club". They keep things smaller and quieter and I understand their reasons for that. Financially, it may or may not make sense for them. But that is for them to decide.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. As it is, most of the wineries around here (and there are A LOT of them) are only open until 5 or 6pm on the weekends anyway. These people have lives and for many of them, the winery is a second career or retirement gig.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this is not statewide. There are some in the central VA area that have live music, think accoustic duos, every weekend. Others have a variety of festivals. Most sell minimal food. But at least 1 has a resteraunt. Several do close by 6pm but on weekends and in the summer others are open late.
I dont doubt that few are getting wealthy but also I only know of 1 that has gone out of business. (Windsong in Goochland). Also Patricia Kluge's struggled until the Donald bought it. In this recent economy thats not to shabby, Of course this is coming from a guy who has spent the last 25 years in construction. The last 5 of which have SU#$@$ED.
I do think you're right though you must treat it like a business. Be aggressive in promoting your brand and your venue.
Maybe one day,,,

Back