"Extra" wine from racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I had a little extra from a racking from a 6gal to a 5gal (it was a 21L pail).

I decided to put some of the leftover into an empty 750mL screw-top bottle and see if it'll settle out and use for topping up when I rack next (or early consumption if it looks tasty).

I shook the bottle a few times after transferring into it to get any CO2 out and I cracked the cap a day later to ensure that it wasn't still fermenting (it's stable - no hiss at all from pressure buildup)

Does this plan make sense or am I looking for trouble here?

What do you guys do with the leftovers?

Is the wine dry? If not, I'd leave the bottle out with the cap on loosely. If it is, I'd seal it up and stick it in the fridge. That will keep it a little more stable, and help ward off oxidation.

I had a little extra from a racking from a 6gal to a 5gal (it was a 21L pail).

I decided to put some of the leftover into an empty 750mL screw-top bottle and see if it'll settle out and use for topping up when I rack next (or early consumption if it looks tasty).

I shook the bottle a few times after transferring into it to get any CO2 out and I cracked the cap a day later to ensure that it wasn't still fermenting (it's stable - no hiss at all from pressure buildup)

Does this plan make sense or am I looking for trouble here?

What do you guys do with the leftovers?

I always make sure and have "extra" for topping up down the road. Whether I have an extra 1/2 gal. carboy, 750ml bottle or a 187ml bottle, I add a bung with airlock.

Is the wine dry? If not, I'd leave the bottle out with the cap on loosely. If it is, I'd seal it up and stick it in the fridge. That will keep it a little more stable, and help ward off oxidation.

Good point. I had enough to fill the bottle to the neck: do you think it would have issues oxidizing in the closed bottle in a couple weeks?

It's at .990 and I've got no pressure buildup in the 750mL bottle.

I always make sure and have "extra" for topping up down the road. Whether I have an extra 1/2 gal. carboy, 750ml bottle or a 187ml bottle, I add a bung with airlock.

What size bung would you use for a 750mL bottle? I just used a screwtop.

Good point. I had enough to fill the bottle to the neck: do you think it would have issues oxidizing in the closed bottle in a couple weeks?

At .990 and filled to the neck, you're likely just fine. Refrigeration would be a little extra insurance.

Use a #2 drilled stopper for bottles, or a 'universal'.

https://morewinemaking.com/products/stopper-2-hole.html

I do the same thing...but with the 750's, it's really hard to pour and not stir up any of the sediment and it's hard to rack off the clean stuff. Frankly, using it for topping up is kind of a PITA. I prefer to use it as a sample, pre-judge my efforts, and perhaps get the wife a little buzzed. She was nipping on the Pinot Gris "sample" pretty hard the other night...think she was straining the really "chewy parts" between her teeth there at the end...

As Jim said, use a #2 drilled. I use 750's, 375's, etc. all the time with no issues. No reason to a) waste the wine or b) use water or a commercial wine to top up with when you already have it available.

When I bought my house, I found in the basement several old glass milk bottles (the old quart size with the tapered end). All the benefits of a mason jar, but I can use the same bung as my Better Bottles. WIN!

It is gonna sound really white trash, but plastic wrap and a rubber band works fine for a short term airlock, especially if it's going in your fridge to help speed up the clearing process.

I usually bottle leftovers into750, 375 or 180 ml bottles. If it is sludgy it goes into the refrigerator until it settles out and then gets racked into a glass for early enjoyment.

When i have left over wine from racking, I put it in a 750 or 1500 ml wine bottle and put a balloon over the opening then put it next to the other carboys till i need it. Has been working fine for the last 20 years. I was always a firm believer in KISS, keep it simple stupid. :h

Latest posts

Back