Experimenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s w

Junior
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago I posted about using a bucket for smaller ferments of DDB trials. That went well. I got a bit gutsy on the experimenting and started two batches..one strawberry/POM and Mango lemonade and frozen mangos. I wanted to try a new yeast 71B and EC 1118 and somehow got crazy mixed up and mixed the yeasts together. Had to add more yeast nutrient midway to both as well as other additives. I don't write it down. Starting SG was 1.08 and ended in 5 days. The strawberry is fantastic and clear, but the mango, not my favorite, although I'll driink it and maybe make it a spritzer with lemon seltzer, is finally clearing with addition of clearing agents and time. I think I need to make notes on my ferment activity, but anyway, the buckets worked well and the yeast mixing wasn't detrimental that I can tell. I've since bought wide mouth gallon glass fermenters for next experiments. I am becoming more comfortable with handling issues and am not so scared if something smells off or looks off, there are ways to handle those situations besides dumping the whole thing, which I would use as a last option. This website is be very helpful. Thanks to all who share their experiences.

Back