Experimenting, Ideas and opinions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froeschli

Reaction score
My hubby got himself a 5 gallon wine kit, which gave me the idea of making some mead. when i looked at the cost of honey though, i decided to go for a small batch, 1 gallon.

I found someone selling gallon jugs on kijiji, so i got myself 5 - 4L jugs, and was given an extra 3L one.

So i went ahead and started a mead:
1kg raw honey
1 lemon, juice
1/4 cup chopped raisins
1 cup cane sugar
a few slices banana
a tiny bit of k-meta
and campagne yeast

yay, it was bubbling away happily, and still is...

then i saw blueberries on sale - AHA!
looked up a recipe, decided i was being cheap and started the little jug, 3L
(which was silly, i should have started it in the 4L and then transferred it to the 3L for aging, now i will have to move it back and forth, and fill up whatever space the berries took)

600g frozen blueberries
2-3 cups merlot (bottom of 2nd racking, just before the actual sediment...)
1/4 cup raisins
few slices banana
1 cup cane sugar
k-meta
pectic enzyme
champagne yeast

both recipes are kind of guesstimates, and i have yet to get a test cylinder for the hydrometer - because i know i won't be able to read it in the jug, even less get it back out...
which means i have no gravity readings so far, but i'll make sure to check it when i get to racking. (which will probably be in a week or so, they're both still fermenting nicely).

anyways, i got 4 more jugs left, any suggestions as to what i might try next?

i was thinking apple wine (jack), or a mixed fruit wine...
for now i am just experimenting, but maybe i'll find something worth making a big batch of after all :)

Back