WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didn't this kit already come with multiple packs of oak cubes or am i mixing it with another one. Mine is still in bulk and haven't had a taste in awhile

cheers

I just put on a fresh batch of this have a look at the thickness of the grapeskin pack. Even though it's the thickest I've ever seen, it gave up its goodies to the SG in a short time. Before adding the pack, the SG was 1.082. Two hours (and some pretty good stirring) later it was 1.095. Early this morning it was 1.098, the highest I've measured. More proof that the WE LE Shiraz/Cab with grapeskins just doesn't have what it takes to get to the 14.5% as advertised (I couldn't coax it past 1.084).

2014_027.jpg

I bottled this wine a few weeks ago. I couldn't take it anymore and popped the cork on a bottle tonight since I don't have any other dry reds on the rack. All I can say is wow. I can't believe I made a wine that good. I hope I can help myself from drinking it all too early. I would really like to see how it tastes with some age on it. I might do this one again! Now I have really high hopes for my other red kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I also started this same kit and just moved it yesterday to secondary. We should have a very nice wine in bout 18 months I think. I did like all the oak that comes with it when making this kit.:b

Last edited:
This question was asked a while back Tim V. of Wine Expert on another forum. He said that the grape pack would add additional sugars to bring the SG up to the company's target. He said this would happen over several days and that a 1.08? SG was normal. He also said NOT to add additional sugars to get to 10.90 SG. Unfortunately for me I didn't see his post in time and I added sugar. Btw that's an excellent kit.
Tony, I did the same but added 1 cup of sugar. Yours is almost a year? Taste a bottle for the team! Wondering what I got to look forward too. Presently in the secondary and color is very kinda dark cherry! Joe

I'm liking all the good comments about this one. I put those three bags of oak cubes and with the clearing agents and left them for about three weeks. I know six weeks is probably better but as much oak as there was I figured that would be fine. Can't recall whether the instructions recommend adding the oak cubes in secondary fermentation or....

From here on out I'm just adding of cubes in the first stage of bulk aging. Someday I'll get an oak barrel, but for now I'll let those keeps it a little longer than the directions say.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You're good adding them at the start of bulk aging. That's generally when I add them. It can take several weeks to fully extract the cubes, and unless you're prepared to transfer the cubes along with the wine, it's the more practical thing to do.

Tony, I did the same but added 1 cup of sugar. Yours is almost a year? Taste a bottle for the team! Wondering what I got to look forward too. Presently in the secondary and color is very kinda dark cherry! Joe

Okay. Opened one tonight for son and son-in-law's shared birthday. Six of us tasted and agreed it was large with alcohol 15+%. And all agreed it was huge with fruit and spice. Tannins were spot on thanks to aging. I couldn't be more pleased. Went to a high ticket white tablecloth restaurant for dinner and ordered a $45.00 Montepulciano, what a disapointment! At the risk of being bragadocious the Lodi was lightyears better. This will definitely be the next kit I buy. Unfortunately I already have two kits on deck. No doubt I will have the WE Lodi Cab in my annual rotation.

Last edited:
Tony, thanks for tasting one for the team! Glad I picked this kit, now comes the patience. :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask my question on this one. This kit comes with the ubiquitous EC-1118 yeast. Did anyone change this out or add two packets of yeast. I am considering both for this kit. The second one I would add, would probably be RC-212, since I can get those without a doubt and I have this kit sitting in my primary bucket, just no yeast added.

I know there is another WE maybe a Limited Edition, where they supplied two types of yeasts and you added both. One was EC-1118, it guarantees that fermentation will complete, the other was ????

Any opinions, suggestions are most welcome. I will be pitching the yeast tonight.

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask my question on this one. This kit comes with the ubiquitous EC-1118 yeast. Did anyone change this out or add two packets of yeast. I am considering both for this kit. The second one I would add, would probably be RC-212, since I can get those without a doubt and I have this kit sitting in my primary bucket, just no yeast added.

I know there is another WE maybe a Limited Edition, where they supplied two types of yeasts and you added both. One was EC-1118, it guarantees that fermentation will complete, the other was ????

Any opinions, suggestions are most welcome. I will be pitching the yeast tonight.

I've not made this kit, but can tell you the LE S. African Shiraz/Cab came with RC212. I'd go with that, if it were mine.

I don't have a ton of experience, but I would second (third?) the RC212 recommendation. As you allude to, you can generally get it in your LHBS, whereas you cannot really get any other "big red" strains there. To get anything that is more exotic and big-red specific, it seems like you have to order it.

I have made several kits with RC212. EVERY ONE of them has been delightful even before aging. Makes me wonder if (by mail-ordering, say, ICV D254) I am searching the world for a supermodel and overlooking the beauty that lives next door! ;)

I don't see any reason to use two pack of yeast be they the same or different unless the kit comes with two packs. I have always liked the kits that come with RC212 and since many kits do come with that it seems to me that WE would have chosen it over the EC1118 were it markedly better. Tim V. formerly with Wine Expert has an article in WineMaker Magazine this month extolling the virtues of changing yeasts in kits. Well "extolling" may be a bit strong but he did an excellent job of explaining why kit manufacturers use EC1118 so much and saying how more experienced amateur winemakers might benefit from yeast trials.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back