Dragon Blood - No Kmeta before fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to wine making and just started a 6 gallon batch of Dragon Blood.

I have been following DangerDave's Wine Made Easy 2.0 pdf and I noticed that there is no Kmeta added before fermentation.

Today, August 20 is day 3 of the must being in the primary. It started at an SG of 1.082 and is at 1.054 today.

Should I have added Kmeta or just wait until the recipe says to when I rack it into the secondary?

Thanks in advance for the help and you guys have no idea how much you have helped me already!!

The reason to add Kmeta pre-ferment is to kill or actually stun, I think :a1 wild yeast, which isn't (to my knowledge) a problem with skeeter pee or DB or any non-fresh fruit recipe for that matter.

I have made so much dragon blood, that I sleep at night thinking of different versions....my head spins with all the combinations that may be forth coming.
That said.
If you add campden/k-meta it slows down the fermentation process.
Dragon blood is not meant to be slowed down.
The alcohol that is being produced is suffecient to ward off bacteria during the fermentation phase.
Notice; he adds it when the hydrometer is at 1.000.....are when you transfer to secondary.

Follow the recipe to a t....You will not be disappointed.

Perfect, KyGuy! Like James says, stick to the recipe. It will come out fine.

The reason to add Kmeta pre-ferment is to kill or actually stun, I think :a1 wild yeast, which isn't (to my knowledge) a problem with skeeter pee or DB or any non-fresh fruit recipe for that matter.

K-meta serves two purposes...antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Lactobacilli are less likely to infect your batch if you use k-meta. I do ALOT of lactofermentation at home and it will establish within hours in the absence of k-meta, alcohol being produced by the time yeast kicks in does not kill it. Addition of k-meta will also create an environment in which wild yeast find unfriendly, allowing your cultivated yeast to colonize and thrive. Antioxidant, needs no definition. I have never had k-meta slow a ferment, when used properly..with skeeter pee the issue is acidity of all the lemon, then lack of nutrients and the preservatives particularly sorbate or benzoate. To me the sulfite in lemon concentrate (and any commercially prepared fruit product) is negligible, I still use k-meta up front..just not worth the risk. You can always use a lesser amount and then dose the rest once dry.

Welcome to the forum KyGuy...from a KYGal, whom also bleeds blue!

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help so far! Saramc its good to hear from another Kentucky fan!

Another question I have...Today, I racked my dragon blood into my secondary. I had enough left over to fill an extra wine bottle so I figured I would save it for topping off later if I needed it.

My question is, should I add anything to the extra wine? K Meta, Potassium Sorbate, etc?

Thanks for all your help so far! Saramc its good to hear from another Kentucky fan!

Another question I have...Today, I racked my dragon blood into my secondary. I had enough left over to fill an extra wine bottle so I figured I would save it for topping off later if I needed it.

My question is, should I add anything to the extra wine? K Meta, Potassium Sorbate, etc?

I never add the required combo of sorbate + k-meta in preparation for backsweetening UNTIL wine has been racked clear and does not drop sediment for a period of sixty days. Wine should be degassed and clear, not just sediment free. Adding sorbate with yeast still in solution will likely result in failure, refermentation. Now, k-meta gets added every 90 days as it bulk ages.

I have made so much dragon blood, that I sleep at night thinking of different versions....my head spins with all the combinations that may be forth coming.

We just started our first batch of Dragon Blood, and we already have an idea for a twist on it. Gonna try it the second the fermentation pail is free. God, this hobby is addictive. ;)

Well, when we bought the Triple Berry Blend, we noticed another fruit blend. It was either strawberry/mango/banana or strawberry/pineapple/banana. Either way, it looked and sounded AWESOME for a DB variation. It looks like it is light on the strawberry, so my guess is that it'll turn out pale blush instead of red, so we're thinking about calling it a "Phoenix Tears" variety of DB.

Regardless, my lady and I spazzed out a little when we saw your DB recipe. We're both huge fantasy nerds, so the name alone sold us, but the recipe does look dangerously tasty. ;) We might have to set aside some carboys strictly for perpetual DB batches. :D

I always make 4 gallons for a 3 gallon batch, are 6 for a 5, are 7 for a 6.
i always rack to a bucket that will hold all, then add kmeta/sorbate, stir like crazy and rack to a 3 gallon container and a 1 gallon. every thing is treated.

Latest posts

Back