Dogs and grapes

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

GreenEnvy22

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2015
Messages
533
Reaction score
739
Location
Niagara Region, Canada
So we got a dog a few months ago, she's great.

We just realized today that grapes are toxic to dogs. I knew about chocolate, onions, and a few others, but didn't know about grapes.

This is a problem, as we have trellises with grapes going all over our back yard. They go over our seating area.

I have grape netting I put up each fall to keep the birds off, but it's not fine enough to keep individual grapes in. Some grapes invariably fall late in the season. I don't want to kill our dog or make her sick. I also don't want to have to rip out all my grapes.

Any thoughts on what we should do? I'm going to look for some finer mesh netting, but any other suggestions?
 

ibglowin

Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
23,080
Reaction score
18,878
Location
Northern Nuevo Mexico
A dog would have to eat like 20lbs of grapes to be toxic depending on body weight Look at all the coyotes roaming through vineyards all over the US. Are they dropping dead each Summer and Fall? Nope.
 

Sage

Junior Member
WMT Supporter
Joined
Aug 23, 2014
Messages
762
Reaction score
1,132
I have a very hard time trying to keep my lab out of the grapes when I pick and crush. If it hits the ground he's on it. He's not above sticking his head in a crate if you don't keep track of him.

He's a total fruit lover, any kind. Peaches and apples are favorites along with plums.
 

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
14,768
Reaction score
13,967
Location
DC Suburbs
Both my parent's Golden and mine loved grapes. And bananas. We still laugh about my parents'. She could hear you peel a banana from upstairs and would come running to the kitchen.
 

Troll

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2014
Messages
52
Reaction score
14
We have a 1 1/2 year old poodle mix that ways 8 pounds. He wants whatever you have including beer and wine. The vet says a little won't hurt and might calm him down. He only gets a half a shot or so but it is enough he will let me enjoy mine.
 

ibglowin

Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
23,080
Reaction score
18,878
Location
Northern Nuevo Mexico
Our first golden "Jack" used to "help" me at crush each year. He went around eating the grapes that didn't make it into the primary after they had been crushed. Anyone that has ever been around a small crusher destemmer knows just how many grapes fly out and do not make it into the bin below. He never got sick from eating grapes.

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03361.jpg
 

PandemoniumWines

Save the Winos
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
187
Reaction score
103
Location
Columbus OH
The toxic effect of grapes builds up over time, it's not something you'll see right away.

I'd put some chicken wire around the grape vine area, myself. :)
 

GreenEnvy22

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2015
Messages
533
Reaction score
739
Location
Niagara Region, Canada
The toxic effect of grapes builds up over time, it's not something you'll see right away.

I'd put some chicken wire around the grape vine area, myself. :)

It's not a problem on the vines, they are up high where she can't reach. It's that some fall down as they get ripe.


Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm less nervous now but I'll still get some finer bird netting to hang under the trellises.
 

Latest posts

Top