Does anyone own a scale and have reduless?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craiger

Reaction score
If so, I was hoping for a huge favor! I just ordered some reduless (I didn't receive it yet). I emailed the company and they said the dosage is .5 grams per gallon. The problem is that I don't own a scale. I went to online calculators and found that 1 dry teaspoon is approximately 4.8 grams. Therefore, .5 grams would be approximately 1/8 tsp. That means it's 1/8 tsp of reduless per gallon. That seems like an insignificant amount to me, and so it just doesn't seem right.

If anyone owns reduless and a scale I would be forever grateful (which I know isn't worth much) if you could measure .5 grams of it, and tell me how many teaspoons that equates to.
Thanks!

Thank you Maverick! This will make me sound like an ingrate (and I apologize), but did you actually weight the reduless or is that your estimate of what it is?

As you continue on with your winemaking, I think you will find that close is probably good enough. With k-meta, asking for 1/4 tsp., do you mound the spoon up or do you shake it fairly level or use a straight edge to level it off? When calling for 5 lb. of fruit, if you only have 4 1/2 or maybe 5 1/2 do you go ahead and use it? I do, and think most others probably do also. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thank you Maverick! This will make me sound like an ingrate (and I apologize), but did you actually weight the reduless or is that your estimate of what it is?

No need to apologize. I have a scale and have weighed it in the past and it was right around 1/4tsp. I don't have any on me right now or I'd weight it again for you.

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate it!!

Good suggestion about getting a scale from Bed Bath and Beyond. I always assumed a scale to measure at such a low range would be very expensive, and I definitely didn't think BB&B would sell them.

Thanks again!

Good suggestion about getting a scale from Bed Bath and Beyond. I always assumed a scale to measure at such a low range would be very expensive, and I definitely didn't think BB&B would sell them.

The kitchen scale I have has a minimum 2g resolution. Which means it can be 1.5 grams. What you do is weigh a lot (like 10g) and then measure the volume of that.

I'm actually in the lookout for a digital scale and so many types/options out there....sigh

John, that one is cool, wondering how reliable....does yours go down to .01 grams also?

Latest posts

Back