Deposits on the Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea132

Reaction score
Hey all, I was at one of my favorite local wineries and we got talking about wine making. While one of the owners was pouring me one of her reds, she talked about how she has some deposits on the bottle. She said she wasn't sure what it was but she said she does filter her wine.

I was wondering if anybody else has come accross this? I took a picture to show you. What I found odd was that it was all over the sides and not the bottom like you would expect with suspended particles. It looked like it could be scrubbed off but I didn't try. She never tried either.

The bad part is I don't remember which wine it was. I'm inclined to think it was her Chilean Malbec but I can't be certain.

THE SYSTEM WON'T LET ME ATTACH A FILE RIGHT NOW FOR A PICTURE. I'LL GET ONE OUT WHEN IT LETS ME!

If it was a Malbec, that likely rules out tartrate crystals, but if if was chilled, could have been. Assuming she didn't cold stabilize them.

I've had that problem with some of my kit wines. Don't know what causes it.

Steve

Latest posts

Back