Mosti Mondiale Degassing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverDan

Junior
Reaction score
I am at the point of degassing my MM Valle del Sol kit.

I transfered to the carboy and started degassing with the drill attachment. My question is that there did not seem to be a lot of gas being released. The SG seemed fine (0.995) and fermentation looked good and I saw no gas being released at secondary fermentation when I started to degas after transfer.

Is it normal that not much gas will be stuck in the wine? Does altitute affect the amount of gas that is trapped in the wine (at about 5300 ft). Granted, this is my first time ever making wine but I didn't see any significant about of bubbles and a little concerned.

Dan,

After secondary fermentation is complete, there is normally a significant amount of carbon dioxidie in the wine. This will be represented by a lack of clarity in the wine, for one. If your red wine looks kind of red in the carboy instead of black, then the light that is entering the liquid is being bounced back toward you by gas bubbles or solids suspended in the liquid.

The drill direction will make a difference as to whether the CO2 is 'pushed off' in waves. I used to use the drill and it didn't kick out any CO2 until I had accidentally reversed the direction when picking up the drill one time and then joila - the gas came off. For curiousity's sake, I would try it again with the drill in a reverse direction and then test for results at different speeds. Also, you can use a Vacuvin to see if any CO2 comes off - I normally use the Vacuvin after the drill.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

Thanks for the information. Right now my problem is that I have an old school drill that only goes in one direction. I also don't have a vacuvin.

Should I then look at getting a new drill, stir by hand or pray really hard?

The lowest cost would probably be a Vacuvin along with the carboy cap: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=14604

The shortest time would be a new drill. Based on the information I've gathered from a couple forums, stirring may be a great workout, but it really takes a lot of stirring to degas. I know some people have used brake bleeders, but that's not a technique I'm familiar with personally.

- Jim

Your "old school" drill does not work well for a few reasons and most likely why you didn't see much CO2 released from your wine. A quote here from another member (Funky Fish) explains the technical side of why:

"The CO2 is driven out of suspensionat the low pressure areas behind the blades of the mix-stir. The best way to maximize the low pressure area is then the blade is moving at a different speed than the liquid. If you are mixing at a near-constant speed in one direction to form a vortex, then that means the liquid is moving at a speed closer to the mix-stir's speed. Which means that you are getting less pressure differential across the blade (and less CO2 out)."

Quick short bursts and reversing directions is the key to degassing with a drill mounted stirrer and sounds likegetting a new drill is the answer for you.

Recently I also have incorporated using vacuum to confirm my degassing is complete.Edited by: masta

Hmm... well to save the wine I guess I will be looking for a new drill. I sort of thought that a drill would not do much esp. with the vortex effect but figured that since I had never heard any issues that I should be good. Well I guess that is a part of doing the 1st wine kit - learning! Hopefully I will get it down before the Barolo and Amarone.

Thanks for the info all. By the way, what and how does the vacuvin work? Is it a solo piece or needs something attached?

Your elevation will also aid in degassing since the atmospheric pressure is less at 5300 ft compared to sea level.

Also remember to degas at the proper temperature (70-75) since a warmer liquid will hold less dissolved gas than a cooler one.

Dan,

In response to using the stirrer in a different direction, as odd as it would seem, if you are getting the 'vortex,' then you're moving in the direction opposite of degassing. Previously, it didn't matter if I was bursting, varying speeds, or going slow or fast - if the vortex was there, the CO2 was not coming out in any reasonable amount, so I would work the Vacuvin for a long time. But when the drill was inadvertently reversed, the vortex went away and was replaced with an inverted vortex of CO2 coming off.

Do note that the manufacturers of the Fizz-X (and likely other stirrers) caution against using the stirrer in the opposite direction of the movement of the liquid. Several members seem to do this successfully - the torque created can damage drills. Either way, if you work it right, I'm sure you'll have wine without any gas in it.

- Jim

I might not know too much about making wine yet Dan. But drills I know about. get a simple black and decker 1/2" chuck drill. I have been mixing joint compound and paint with mine for over 6 years. once and a while you can smell plastic burn but I doubt that something as thin as wine would even effect it. Make sure it has variable speed or you might get more torque than you want

Denver, I wasn't getting much foam for degassing either with my drill. Until one day I stirred against the grain of the moving wine. Then it foamed like a mad dog.
smiley3.gif
Works like a charm!!

Latest posts

Back