December 2013 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that black peppercorns might be out of place.

See if you can find some pink or white ones though. They have a bit of a different flavor.
Bite into one and see if you like it. If you do, add 3 or 4 to your wine. I don't think I would do any more than that though.

What kind of a flavor are you wanting to wind up with?
Something reminiscent of fall that could double as a wine to drink hot?
Or something to drink cold during indian summer next autumn?
Or perhaps a spicy wine to drink while eating a hot curry?

I've got a gallon of an apple wine aging right now that I think is going to be sensational.
I used chamomile flowers and sweet woodruff to flavor it.
The picture in my head was of me drinking a glass of wine in my garden at night, during that sweet time between spring and summer.
I think I nailed it.

Ok
December Wine of the Month:

Werther's Originals Wine

6 5.5 pkgs Werther’s candies
1 gallon plus 1 quart water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp tannin
1 tsp acid blend
½ tsp yeast energizer
Lavlin EC 1118 on 12/25/13

Stir the candy in with the water. If you decide to use heat to dissolve the candies, do not walk off, you will need to stir continually.
After candy is mostly dissolved bring to a boil. I boiled for about 5 minutes. Let cool down.
There will be a layer of oily nasty residue floating on top of your water. I did not want this in my must so I siphoned off below this level.

When I get below 1.020, I plan on moving to secondary. Hopefully I will have my vanilla pods by then.
I'm planning on adding 1 oz of medium toast french oak chips, and one vanilla bean (cut open). I may add less vanilla bean, as I've heard they can be quite potent.

I agree that black peppercorns might be out of place.

See if you can find some pink or white ones though. They have a bit of a different flavor.
Bite into one and see if you like it. If you do, add 3 or 4 to your wine. I don't think I would do any more than that though.

What kind of a flavor are you wanting to wind up with?
Something reminiscent of fall that could double as a wine to drink hot?
Or something to drink cold during indian summer next autumn?
Or perhaps a spicy wine to drink while eating a hot curry?

I wasn't really after a hot drink, more like the Indian summer idea. The point is moot now that my wife opened the bottle for another recipe. I will find something else to do with the kumquats.

Sorry Guys and Gals I completely skipped over December it seems but I remember now what my original plan was when I started that sugar wash idea last month and now that it is completed I want to save a bottle of the strawberry daiquiri mix wine cooler and then make a batch of wine as follows

4 Cans Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
Sugar to get to a 1.080 on the Hydrometer (Sugar wash was 1.072)
Yeast Nutrient and energizer ( to label directions)
1/4 tsp tanning
Pectin enzyme (just as a precaution to pectin haze)
water to 1 gallon
Lalvin ec-1118

Put all ingredients into Primary except yeast and stir vigorously to dissolve everything and let sit for 12 to 24 hrs
Make yeast starter and let it sit till nice and foamy then pitch it and cover.
when must hits 1.010 rack into a clean and sanitized carboy
After must has gone dry rack onto campden and sorbate then mix in Sparkloid
wait 2 weeks then rack again and backsweeten with 1 can of strawberry daiquiri mix wait 2 days to make sure it is not refermenting then bottle.

Then after a month or so compare it with the wine cooler.

The point is moot now that my wife opened the bottle for another recipe. I will find something else to do with the kumquats.

Thats sad to hear. I was going to tell you I made some hard cider using that in October. I mixed 1/2 bottle with 1 gal of fresh cider. It is some really nice concentrate. My cider is still sleeping but I'm hoping to back sweeten it a little with that 5 apple cider and then carbonate. (As soon as I study the process it. I have never done it.)

:u The onion wine has been allowed back in the house. The final SG has gone down to .992. I am going to rack to secondary tomorrow. The smell has diminished, but the onion taste is there I think it has a good possibility of making a good cooking wine. I'm not so sure about just drinking it. At least unless/or if the onion taste goes away.

onion12_26_13.jpg

Last edited:
I did a little taste of the Apricot Port in the fridge for top up, and it slapped me in the face with Apricot. WOW!

I believe I posted what I was going for as a final product, and this is NOTHING like that. Just Apricot, apricot, apricot. No vanilla or oak from the brandy, no dried apricot flavours, no brandy flavour! The fruit just completely drowns out everything else. This was completely unexpected, even at 10Lbs/gal, as most postings I've seen are always saying that apricot is such a light flavour, it makes it difficult to pull through.

Rather impressed, really. It's just juicy and sweet.

I will definitely add some medium toast oak, likely one vanilla bean as well. I feel that because the fruit flavour is so intense, it will take a bit of flavour tweaking very well. Wondering if I should throw some dried fruit in there as well? Perhaps dried apricots or raisins? Don't want to over-do it of course.

December:

What went well: I love that I was able to stop the fermentation exactly on time. I watched this thing like a hawk, and it totally paid off.

What could have gone better: Nothing. While the flavour profile is not exactly what I was shooting for out of the gate, it's even better. I was concerned I would need to add more fruit flavouring, but instead I get to play with the other stuff!

What I learned: I have now made port-styles two different ways: a) kit where you ferment a base wine to dry, then add flavour and sugar in an f-pack; and b) stopping fermentation with brandy at the sweetness you want.

I've learned that each has it's merit, but that while fermenting to dry saves some money, and is less finicky to get exactly right; I think (at this early point) the second way just may be my favourite. It's simple, elegant, and keeps all of that wonderful flavour I originally wanted: the fruit. I like that it doesn't ferment the flavours out and then I have to add them back. i.e. it doesn't feel like an 'extract' wine as the kits do.

I feel that by next December, I will have some seriously delicious stuff that no one else will EVER taste - because it will be that good. Unless some of you come to visit, of course. Then I might be persuaded to share with the 'Club' :i

I feel that by next December, I will have some seriously delicious stuff that no one else will EVER taste - because it will be that good. Unless some of you come to visit, of course. Then I might be persuaded to share with the 'Club' :i

Hmmm,well I do still have a mess of relatives in and around Winnipeg... but Dec. in Winnipeg? :)

But Raelene I will be watching for next Dec. when you can do a side by side of the 2 port styles when aged.

Kim: it's only like -37 today! Don't you WANT to come and visit!?! Lol.

FYI, I only did the apricot the b) way. My other ports are kits and are the a) way. Dang it! Now I need to do another port the a) way from scratch. Thanks Kim. :d way to twist my rubber arm...

Kim: it's only like -37 today! Don't you WANT to come and visit!?! Lol.

FYI, I only did the apricot the b) way. My other ports are kits and are the a) way. Dang it! Now I need to do another port the a) way from scratch. Thanks Kim. :d way to twist my rubber arm...

Oh you know you love to have another excuse to make more!:h

ok December wine update
I racked today ,it's still a brilliant magenta color. Gave it a wee taste (was a little scared lol) It's hard to say the flavor. Maybe a bit of beet, but I could've just imagined that.It's got a great med-heavy body. Very strong bite of alcohol still. I added 12g of med. french oak today so I'll give it a month and see how the flavor is
What went wellit was inexpensive, easy to do and fermented very well

what could have gone betterat this point it's hard to say, but maybe more spiciness

What I learned that you can't possibly eat all the beets you use for making a gal of wine :)

I counted 10 and you have 10 listed so I think you got it. Good job !

My goodness, there are 10 of us for this month!?!

Wow, this must be catching on :D

Jeri - do you want me to take a turn 'managing' the thread for January? Seems unfair that you have to put in all the work!

Ok, my personal musings...

What went well.....There was no stellar thing here that stood out, but I'm a little proud of the little things. I had a plan and when things didn't go quite the way I expected them to, I just rolled with it. That's pretty big for me. I like everything to be just so, and when it isn't I tend to get a bit aggravated. Type A personality I guess. Several things didn't happen the way I planned but I still have something salvageable.

What could have gone better.....Probably should have done a little more research on what ingredients are actually in Werther's candy. From researching other candy wines, I've heard there are a lot of additives that can contribute to haze in the finished product. So I doubled up on the pectic enzyme, even though this wine did not contain any fruit. Hopefully it will be insurance towards clear wine at the end. In hindsight, I'm wondering if I should have added clay or if I should add some after fermentation is complete.
Also, I was NOT expecting the greasy, oily crap that materialized after I dissolved the candies into water. I siphoned off underneath that top layer, so I'm hoping there is nothing left once fermentation is complete.
I also should have been a little more organized. I made this wine plus two batches for the Welch's contest and I feel like I was just running around with my head cut off, realizing I was out of this or didn't have quite enough of that. I initially bought a wine making kit when I first started a few months ago and I went through most of those supplies long ago. So I feel like I'll realize I am out of one item, order more, then next batch I'm out of two more things. I really need to sit down and come up with a list of items to buy in bulk and just do it already. Also...I need to come up with an actual designated wine area. I feel like everything is just kind of tucked in where I can find extra space. Now that I have multiple batches aging, fermenting, etc, it's becoming obvious I need to organize, etc.

What I learned....
Plan your work and work your plan. Roll with the punches. Have back up plans in case something doesn't work out.
But even more than that, thanks to Raelene and James, I have learned a metric **** ton of information on portmaking. And surprisingly, I'm actually interested in trying my hand at it. (after I try cooking wines. and mead. and a braggot. and...well, you get the picture).

Anyway, I just really wanted to express my thanks to everyone who is participating. I am really having a lot of fun reading all of the ideas and gleaning information from what you guys are doing.

Raelene,

I probably didn't pay it as much attention as I should have this month. I apologize for that you guys.

That said, anytime anyone wants to take charge of a certain month, have at it. All I ask is that you let me know prior to the 1st of the month so that duplicate threads aren't created.
I actually do like the idea of different people getting involved so that the threads have different spins on them.
So far it has really been a lot of fun.
I'm looking forward to finding our personal "winner" recipes and posting them to the recipe forum.

Kim,

Easy on trying to eat all those beets, lol. I took a call a few days ago from a woman that thought she had internal bleeding. It took about 5 minutes to get her calmed down enough to figure out what the issue was....she was fine. She just ate a lot of pickled beets at the Christmas dinner.

Ok, for my own wine.....SG down to 1.030. I keep the house pretty cool during the wintertime, so this is probably going to be a much slower ferment than usual. I did taste it though...very good. Very strong butterscotch/toffee flavor. So much so that I may end up adding some water to it after a few months if it stays this strong. Interesting feature though...the ferment appears very vigorous, crazy foam, but it smells like Jolly Rancher Sour apple candy. It took me a minute to figure it out, but then I called Manthing over to smell it.
"What does this smell like?"
I'm not smelling that.
"David, just smell it."
Is this a trick?
"Dammit David, it smells good, just tell me what you thing it smells like."
mmmmmmm.......Jolly Ranchers candy.

Latest posts

Back