DB underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
Got my second batch of DB going on. Love this recipe :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Wine Making mobile app

1396206596604.jpg

Nothin better than sqeezing thar bag, lol.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Wine Making mobile app

Why do you love this recipe, Joe?

Can't speak for Joe but allow me to jump in... I got a very good tasting wine at a very low cost and ready to drink in a very short period of time. Win! Win! Win!

Followed Dave's recipe very closely but used quad-berry because local Stop & Shop didn't have tri-berry. Also, deviated a bit by doing my back sweetening between stabilizing and clearing agents because that's how I've mostly done it with kits.

Why do you love this recipe, Joe?

Same as Bill, can't speak for Joe, BUT...

For a lot of us noobs, we don't have years and years of wine making under our belts, which means we're just beginning to fill our wine racks. Lets face it, you can't really start filling your rack if you have to wait 6 months to a year to bottle. The DB recipe is a fast producer, hence a quicker buildup while waiting for long-termers.

Not having to buy a bottle while producing DB and it's many variants allows us to save money on buying commercial wines. Let's face it, DB is actually CHEAPER than Franzia (6gal of Franzia at $13 per 1.5 liter = approx 59 versus Approx $30 or so for ingredients etc for 6 gal DB). The DB recipe is very inexpensive, this has been great for me as I have to pay out of MY hobby, and I work rarely.

Also with all the variants, you could feasibly have a decent stock of different flavors built up in weeks assuming you have the carboys/space/etc.

Lastly, I've done a few variants quad-berry, strawberry, blackberry straw/black berry mix, tropical, tropical mixed with white grape peach Welch's (gag if you must), strawberry backsweetened with Bacardi Strawberry mixer... and I can't say any of them have been unpalatable. None of my friends or family have disliked any, so I feel that it's consistently a GOOD PRODUCT.

What more could you really ask for?

Last edited:
As a beginner, this recipe was easy and quite fun. I made 2 six gallon batches last year, a DB and a welchs concord. They both came out great and my wife and I really enjoy drinking them. This year I made this DB, a welchs red and white and I'm in the middle of composing a chocolate raspberry concord. I figure with this under my belt and learning the different phases of the process, I would like to move on to some other grape varieties.

I can't tell you how much I've learned from this forum. It's been great to come on here and see all the help that's being offered. I went from, I want to make wine to making it, all by reading this forum and I would like for Dave to know how much I appreciate his recipe as it was one of my first.

Great stuff here!

Back