Damsons the size of sloes ! ! !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleftiwallah

Reaction score
Just got back from the Sheep Drover's track with this years damsons. 56lbs and I've never seen them so small. I don't know if 'those in authority will allow this Anglo Saxon word, but I'm knackered ! :(

I've seen bigger sloes! I'll put it down to the weather, might read up on pruning damsons to see if it helps increase the size and yeald next year.

Any recommended yeast for a very basic Damson recipe (I keep addatives down to a minimum).

The remnants of Hurricane Irene put the mockers on my weeks sailing by the way. Cheers, Tony.

Lol, the Sloes are big and juicy this year though.
I use Youngs super yeast compound for Damsons. Others on here may use something different though.
By the way, I don't think they have Sloes in America. :h

I have never heard of either before. I suppose that is what they add in some gin eh?
Ah. I see that a damson is a plum.

The sloe is the fruit of the blackthorn, the bush/shrub looks similar to a hawthorn, but the former has small blue/black fruits of increadible astringency, it is these that go into sloe gin. The latter has red berries in clusters.

There are relatives of the plum called greengages (would you believe it, they're green). The damson a small blue/black 'plum' and a bullace, an orangy/ yellow small plum. :cw Cheers, Tony. p.s. just lurve these smilies. . . . .

Latest posts

Back