RJ Spagnols Cru Select Shiraz Viognier + oak cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daslogster

Junior
Reaction score
Has anybody done this kit and if so, when did they add the oak cubes and for how long? The kit comes with a huge package of oak shavings and a package of hungarian oak cubes and no mention of cubes in the instructions. Are they best put in during clearing?

I made this kit about a year ago and added all the oak to the primary fermenter for the full 14 days. When I stabilized I transferred the cubes to the carboy and kept them in for about 3-4 weeks, I believe. They are good for about 6 weeks or so from what I understand. If you like oakiness in your wine, add it and check periodically; if not, you may want to forgo adding the cubes to the carboy. You can also save the cubes in the freezer to add to another kit if you wish ( after 6 weeks or so in the wine they have used most of their oakiness).

Thanks, the instructions didn't have any details and I haven't added oak in cubes to any kit up to this point.

Daslogster:

While you are correct, the instructions don't have any details, RJS seems to recommend putting all oak in the primary for the length of the primary. The cubes are lumped in with the "oak powder/chips".

I haven't made this kit since 2006-2007, but my notes say that it contained "large oak shavings (OAK120, about 4 cups), Hungarian oak cubes (2ozs)". My wife and I really enjoyed this wine, and would happily make more, but it keeps getting overridden by other kits. (It doesn't help that I don't wish to deal with the two closest RJS dealers.) BTW, we did not add the shavings, just the cubes, as we don't love heavy oak. I think back then it was a 7 day ferment too.

Steve

We love our local RJS dealer (we just bought 5 more kits from him, 2 En Primeur, 1 Celler Classic, 1 GCI, 1 orchard breezin) and he is nothing but helpful and no-pressure. I do like this type of wine and typically spend 18-20$ on a bottle when buying it from a store and hope this kit comes close.

Latest posts

Back