Crasin wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
I am planning to make this wine from Jack Kellers recipe. Is 1 lb of crasins per gallon enough? I know Jacks recipes are little weak in the early days. Any feedback is appreciated.

Just make sure you use Craisins that have no added oil. There are two different formulas sold, so check ingredient label.

I missed the Ingredient of oil in the crasins. I have not started the wine yet. I only chopped all three pounds. I read on other posts that it adds oil to the wine. What can be done to get rid of that oil? I hate to waste all 3 pounds of the chopped crasins. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I missed the Ingredient of oil in the crasins. I have not started the wine yet. I only chopped all three pounds. I read on other posts that it adds oil to the wine. What can be done to get rid of that oil? I hate to waste all 3 pounds of the chopped crasins. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Oatmeal crasin cookies. :db I know, not helpful, but I like cookies. LOL

I have used raisins in my secondary several times. There is a minor amount of oil floating on the top sometimes, but racking from the bottom and pulling out before it gets to the oil usually works. What the racking doesn't take care of, the Super Kleer usually binds it and sinks it to the rest of the sediment.

Do yah think the crasins should be in a straining bag or directly in the primary?

The crasins should be fine without a bag. However it is easier to pull them out of the juice if you use a bag. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the tips about oil. I didn't think about that when I bought craisens for my wine. I'll keep a closer eye on the ingredients next time.

Latest posts

Back