Corking lipped bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutya

Reaction score
I just picked upa dozen bottles that have a lip around the top, and from past experience I have had trouble with my hand held corker getting the corks all the way down. Is there a trick I don't know about.

The best trick I know of kutya is to trade them for ones without it or get a floor corker. I had the same problem and finally got me a floor corker

I've heard those bottles called "bar top" bottles. Waldo's solution is the best - floor corker. Otherwise, try to get the corks in as best you can and give those bottles away as gifts!

I gave those bottles to PWP, and took a bunch to the recyling bin before that [don't tell her]We only have a hand held corker and have found a good supplier of bottles, so just sort out the ones I can use...
smiley1.gif

I knew the floor corker was going to come up. I never even thought to discard the bottles... I guess a floor corker it is. I just have to convince my wife that a floor corker is the answer.. thanks all...

how do you get shrink wrapes over these kind of bottles once you do manage to cork them?
JC

I haven't figured a way around that one myself. I keep them for my own consumption and try to seal with wax. No problems yet.

Northern Winos said:
I gave those bottles to PWP, and took a bunch to the recyling bin before that [don't tell her]We only have a hand held corker and have found a good supplier of bottles, so just sort out the ones I can use...
smiley1.gif
Oops! I found out!
smiley36.gif

Reasons to give to the wife why a floor corker is the way to go and a good investment.
1. Less time spent pushing corks into bottles leaves more time for making wines that she and her friends can drink.
2. A happy wine maker is a good wine maker.
3. Less time pushing corks means more time you can spend with her talking about what she wants to talk about.
Anyone else have anything to add to that list?

Kutya, what if you started a petition? I bet everyone here would sign for you!

I found that you need to get the extra large shrink wraps -- the regular won't fit. I needed to get them for some of my pinot noir bottles that were heavy at the top. Even so, with the flange, the shrink wrap can easily get wrinkes... SOOoooo....I've "recycled" the bar-top, flange bottles(as only we can do here in Montana!)
smiley36.gif

(what that means for the rest of you is, we can't recycle glass so it goes into the landfill...)

And I thought you meant you take them out on the target range for a little practice. Does George carry the large wraps- I haven't noticed any?

Do keep in mind that you don't have to put shrink wraps or wax over all your corks. We rarely use them and people still want gifts from us.

I like to have shrink wrap on my bottles, aside from looking nice I am hoping that they help the corks from drying out. Here in the interior province of Alberta Canada it is very dry here. Also I am thinking/hoping that should a cork leach out wine from within the bottle,the shrink wrap will help to contain any drips.
JCEdited by: jcnoren

jcnoren said:
I like to have shrink wrap on my bottles, aside from looking nice I am hoping that they help the corks from drying out. Here in the interior province of Alberta Canada it is very dry here. Also I am thinking/hoping that should a cork leach out wine from within the bottle,the shrink wrap will help to contain any drips.
JC
JC, you don't have to worry about the cork getting dry if you lay the bottles on their side while in storage. The cork in contact with the wine will remain moist enough so you don't have to worry about air passing through the cork and the cork being too dry.

-Scott

PwP, I love your ideas, and am printing a copy out for the wife to see. Sangwitch... Petition...great idea.

Actually I visited my local brew store, (about 150 miles), and he didn't have a floor corker.... I'm sold on the floor model.... Thanks all. jh

Richard, I haven't found them (the large caps) in George's catalog, but was able to get them from a u-brew in Creston, BC when I happened to stop in. I suppose if LD Carlson has them George could get them.
Kutya, George did have the Italian model (Ferrari)on sale and I've noticed a definite difference between it and the Portugese floor corker. Mind you, I don't have either one, but have "looked."
smiley36.gif

Dave

jcnoren said:
how do you get shrink wraps over these kind of bottles once you do manage to cork them?
JC

Was looking through my box of stuff and see that the foil wraps for Champagne bottle tops might fit your flange top bottles....They are foil and once you have them on the bottle you squeeze them and they take the shape of the bottle top and stay in that shape...they look nice on the Champagne botles and think they would work for your flange tops...
So, check your catalogs where they sell the plastic Champagne stoppers and the wire hoods, or where the shrink wraps are listed....
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back