Cold Stabilization do you or don't you?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
I read a thread on here about cold stabilizing a few weeks ago. I have a great spot to do it in and was thinking about it for my pinot grigio. I am trying to do some research on if it makes the wine taste better or not.

So in your opinion/ experience does cold stabilizing help round out a wine and make it better?

Or do you do it only when you have a high acid wine you need to correct?

I just got a deep freezer to convert to a fridge - so i can CS my wines.

The white i made last year had a TA of .7 - and it still dropped crystals if i left a bottle in the fridge for a few weeks.

So i will CS all my whites and fruit wines.

If your acid is not high then I would not cold stabilize your wine as it may leave your wine very flabby. Wine diamonds are a sign of quality products and found in good commercial wines and if some falls out during storage then so be it, just dont store it in the fridge. If yoir acidity is very high then sure stick it in there and drop some excess out before bottling.

I have done it twice with reds that had a very low (high acid) pH. Both dropped crystals and both wines improved. That's the only time that I have done it and I have an unused small apartment size refridge near my wine work area into which 2 gallons fit nicely. What Wade said. :b

If your acid is not high then I would not cold stabilize your wine as it may leave your wine very flabby. Wine diamonds are a sign of quality products and found in good commercial wines and if some falls out during storage then so be it, just dont store it in the fridge. If yoir acidity is very high then sure stick it in there and drop some excess out before bottling.

won't cs help in clearing your wine as well?

Back