Cold Climate Viticulture course in Vermont, Summer 2012

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryb

Junior
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]A Summer Course on “Cold Climate Viticulture” being offered at the University of Vermont ….[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Terence Bradshaw, who is a member of the UVM Grape Team and Assistant Director of the UVM Hort. Research Center, will be the Instructor of an exciting course this summer on “Cold Climate Viticulture.” The course will take place on Wednesdays from May 23 - July 11, 2012. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The following is a brief description of the course:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Students will learn principles and practices of commercial cold-climate grape production, including: site selection and preparation; varietal selection; vine training; nutrient, water and pest management; harvest; and introductory winemaking considerations. Special emphasis will be placed on environmental and economic sustainability of the vineyard operation. The class will apply knowledge of integrated horticultural and pest management practices in a real vineyard setting. The class format will consist of a combination of classroom lectures, hands-on fieldwork, and visits to local commercial vineyards.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Class enrollment is limited to 20 students. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For further information, please see:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://learn.uvm.edu/courselistsummer/course.php?term=201206&crn=60916[/FONT]

Last edited:
Sounds like a good course Terry. I hope you get good attendance.

Terry if you are free this Saturday we are holding a pruning seminar at my vineyard at 2:00 PM where we will be leading a hands on pruning of a few panels of grapes in my NE SARE Training System Trial. We will be instructing in pruning for vine balance for each of the appropriate four training systems. Kevin Iungerman of the NENY Fruit Program and myself Richard Lamoy will be conducting it at Hid-In-Pines Vineyard. Anyone else may attend also and you may PM me for directions, etc.

I'd love to get over there, but I'm bust then. I did some pruning at the Willsboro farm some years ago with Steve Lerch and consider it my first real experience up close and personal with vines.

TB

It is time to get Steve up here again. He is a wealth of information, I last saw him last year at the 60th Annual Finger Lakes Grape Growers Conference when I spoke there. He loves it up here with the lake and the mountains. Maybe I can get Justine Vanden Heuvel to send him up here this year for some kind of session when I have a field meeting for the SARE trial. She is the Technical Advisor for my project and also Steves person to report to. Maybe you could bring your class over here for that meeting. I haven't set the date yet so if you are interested let me know what would work.

Sounds like a great course. There's a few courses coming up in my area I'll be taking myself; Winery Sanitation Workshop and PA Wine Quality Iniative.. It would be great to see more classes like these offered around the country.

Latest posts

Back