Clarification/Degassing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euphio

Reaction score
I'm on my very first batch - Winexpert Sangiovese.
It had been in secondary fermentation around 16 days.
SG = 0.996, Temp = 71°F.

I added the chemicals and the directions say stir for 4 minutes total.
We stirred for 30 min plus and still saw some dissolved CO2.

We only had a long handled spoon to stir so it was a big chore.

Will the rest of the gas naturally come out in the clarification process or do I need to go buy one of those mixers you attach to a drill and stir some more tomorrow night?

Try using the spoon side-to-side (or back-and-forth). Personally I think that works better than round-and-round with a spoon or a drill stirrer.

And it probably won't dissipate just sitting in a carboy.

Steve

Once you have stirred it, you can taste the wine to determine if it still contains CO2. If not degassed, you will get a fizzy feeling/taste from it on the end of your tongue; like you get with Champagne.

You will be better off getting drill mounted stirrer. I find it very difficult to stir hard and long enough with a spoon to get the job done.

Of course the ultimate degasser is a vacuum pump, which many of us have purchased. If you stay with wine maker you might think about getting one.

when you use the drill go in one direction until the wine just starts to vortex then put the drill in reverse and go real fast the other way... back a forth back and forth it works real well and prevents allot of O2 introduction.

Thanks everyone. We re-mixed tonight for another 15 min or so.
The back and forth motion helped.
We tasted it and it was a little bubbly but not too much.

I'll look into the vacuum pump - thanks!

Latest posts

Back