Chitine #4?? Use it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slbrides

Junior
Reaction score
So am working on my first batch, and was just reading ahead to the next step via my instructions. This next step is the stabilize and clear by adding #2 and #3 and then stir the heck out of it.
The next paragraph talks about if you received an F-pack which I do not think I did (f-pack of juice?), to add #4 chitosan. I did receive a gel packet of #4 Chitine....
Did they just throw that in there as extra and because I do not have the F-pack then I should not worry about it? Or, I need to add #4 anyways regardless?
I am making a Shiraz via the Vintners Reserve kit.
Thanks!

#2 is Potassium sulfite, #3 is potassium Sorbate. These 2 ingredients are to stabilize your wine so that it will not start fermenting again if you wish to sweeten it up by either adding a sugar syrup or an F-pack which is typically a flavored sugar syrup or just in some cases with a plain white wine just inverted sugar. #4 is the fining agent used to clear your wine which will come with any wine kit. Some wine kits use other fining agents. You should add this after degassing your wine very well and keep the temps around 72* for the fining agent to work properly.

Latest posts

Back