Cheap and Quick Recipies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Junior
Reaction score
I love skeeterpee, I like that its super cheap and fast to make (both in actual prep and finished product) is there any more I dunno Cooler weather wines that are simlar I can try? (something that isn't a summery as lemon lol)

Make a batch of Welch's Black Cherry/Concord. Buy the juice and ferment. Make acidity and tannin adjustments to taste. Adjust SG to 1085. 1090 actually is OK with this one.

I find it's best after 9 mos to 1 year in the bottle.

There are also a lot of possibilities with apple juice. Straight up or add another juice for different flavors. Dry, apple takes a while to come around. The sweeter, the quicker it's ready to drink.

+1 to apple cider. You can use juice or concentrate. Not too expensive and is a perfect fall/holiday drink.

I'm liking the black cherry concord idea...I did a pretty strong concord grape wine (3 cans concentrate for a gallon then SG to 1.1). I actually really liked the Concord flavors...I drank it young after a month in the bottle...and kinda miss it wish I did more and took notes lol.

I have a Amazon Merlot with 3 cans of Concord to beef it up going right now. Hoping for some similar characteristics in that one compared to the straight concord yet more subdued

I did a lot of apple and I dunno outside a Graff I did ( lightly hopped apple beer) I have gotten many things I enjoy.

Well, if you like concord then go for a concord wine from concentrate. Doesn't have to be Welch's (more expensive). You could use store brand grape juice concentrate. That's a hit around my house.

You can do jam wines that are drinkable within 90 days, six months even better. Blackberry is great, oak it if you like. My favorite jam wine is Boysenberry and a Black Raspberry...well as of right now. They are all quite good. And cheap, and quick!!

Jam Wine (makes 1 gallon)
If making more than one gallon, just multiply all items except the yeast by the number of gallons you want to make, but don't add more that) ATTENTION: if you use the 18oz jars of Jam instead of the 16oz jars the recipe calls for, be sure to check OG before you add sugar because you may not need to add any additional sugar. Use of clean/sanitized equipment is a given, as is racking and the use of Campden/k-meta and sorbate during any extended bulk aging and final preparation for bottling of your wine.

3- 16oz jars of Jelly or Jam, any flavor
Water to 1 gallon + 3 cups
1.5-2-tsp Acid (depending on fruit decide which acid to use)
1/8 tsp Tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient (see notes, 2 doses)
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme (see notes, 2 doses)
Check OG before adding sugar…adjust to 1.090-1.095
Wine Yeast: Premier Cuvee, K1V-1116, or Cotes de Blanc for potentially a sweeter finish!
*Campden/k-meta: SEE INSTRUCTIONS, do not use before pitching yeast

Take lids off jelly/jam containers and microwave to loosen/liquify, then add to your primary bucket. Add enough lukewarm water to make one full US Gallon + 3 cups, and stir well to make sure all lumps are dissolved (can use straining bag if desired). Stir in Acid Blend, Tannin, Nutrient and Pectic Enzyme. Temperature needs to be near 70 degrees, allow to cool if necessary. After at least 12 hours, check to confirm OG of 1.085 - 1.090 and adjust by adding simple sugar syrup, as needed to reach goal OG of 1.085-1.090. Allow to rest for another 12 hours (24 hour total from start of assembly), then add your yeast (hydrated per packet instructions).

Ferment at 70* to 75* in primary, lid just covering, not snapped on, stir 2x/day and when S.G. has dropped by 1/3 FROM O.G., dose again with yeast nutrient AND pectic enzyme, still in primary. When SG has dropped by 2/3 FROM O.G. remove straining bag and rack/transferring to carboy (secondary container), dose with Campden/k-meta and attach bung and prepared airlock. Leave for approx. 3 weeks, SG should be at or below 1.000, transfer again racking off the lees. Now, should be fine to establish an "every 2 month" racking schedule. Can use Sparkalloid post fermentation to assist in clearing, if necessary--but this wine typically is clear within 90 days of start.

If back-sweetening: "to taste" (1.010 is liked by many) and be sure to stabilize by adding 1/2 tsp FRESH Potassium Sorbate/gallon PLUS k-meta/campden VS stabilize a dry wine with k-meta/campden.

**It is important to note that for this to be an early drinker you really do not want to exceed the O.G. listed in the recipe detail. Some report specifically with blackberry that it tends to finish off-dry, though I have had no issues with that--my wines have always fermented dry & I have been using Cotes de Blanc and Cuvee.

I have tweaked this recipe by adding 4 oz by weight of Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder per gallon at the start of ferment, or adding 8 oz by volume of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (sweet stuff) after the wine is dry and has cleared, then give it a few weeks to drop out and clear. If using the syrup I have stabilized with k-meta/sorbate to maintain the residual sugar from the sweet syrup AND I have also allowed the sugar to ferment out. Have added 5-7 drops good quality vanilla extract PER 750ml BOTTLE. Have fortified with 5oz E&J VSOP brandy per gallon to fortify. Have oaked the dry blackberry (adding my oak extract--toasted chips added to high proof Everclear and then bench trial to find out how many drops I needed to add). Options are endless!!

Last edited:
Try making your favorite Old Orchard juice concentrate into wine. I've done several now with great success.

Back