Chardonnay Viognier blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prosseco

Junior
Reaction score
HI,

My first Chardonnay is ready from second fermentation, will bottle it this coming weekend.
2 weeks ago we bought and tried a bottle of Chardonnay/Viognier blend for the first time ever. It was fantastic, just the wine type we like. Fruity, crisp and great for the coming summer.
Is it possible if I buy a bottle of Viognier wine to mix it with my home made Chardonnay? If I do what is the typical mix rate when you mix grape types, 50/50 or 70/30...? If this is doable, when do I mix in the store bought Voignier, at the same time that I bottle the home made Chardonnay or do I let the Chardonnay rest for 2 months or so and then mix in the Voignier? If it works I plan to make a Viognier home wine and do larger mix batches.

Last edited:
I just recently bottled a LE Kit that is a Chardonnay/Viognier blend. You can probably still find them around if that's of interest to you.

You can certainly mix in commercial Viognier to create this blend. It is a new one to me, so I'm not sure of recommended %'s, though a little searching might reveal some standards. If not, experiment on your own by combining different %'s and tasting. Find the ratio you like and go with it.

If it were my wine, I'd blend, then let the two sit for a few weeks. Prior to bottling, I'd do one final racking.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be the compatibility of the wines; did one good through mlf, one not? Is there residual sugar that could be introduced to one of the wines? Both could cause fermentation in the bottle. I agree with blending in the carboy and give it time, to make sure it is stable.

NorCal

Seriously good catch about facts most of us would forget. Probably not safe to combine with purchased wine.

Jim (Boatboy) commented about blending then letting them rest in a carboy several weeks. That would help on residual sugar, but I would still worry about MLF. I am a worrier, I know.

Pam in cinti

Last edited:
Another thing to be concerned over is that the commercial wine probably has a rather high level of SO2. This might be a concern depending where you are in the winemaking process if adding a large proportion. I would wait until your homemade wine is complete and ready to bottle. I would then blend them to taste, age for several more months, then bottle.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds to me to be honest that the best option would be to start with a winekit that is Chardonnay/Voignier.
I will separate a part of the Chardonnay and give it a try though. You never know :)

If you didn't put your Chardonnay through MLF, I wouldn't worry about adding commercial Viognier to it at all.

In the event you're curious, the kit is a limited release kit from RJ Spagnols called 'Carrusel'. You may still be able to get your hands on one.

Back