Cellar Craft CC Classique Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJB

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Just curious about this: I got into using CC wine kits in August 2010, and initially made a Classique Merlot, and a Classique Pinot Noir - these were $60 cheapies and pretty much all my LHBS had on the shelf. Those wines are now coming on 9-10 months, and are more or less drinkable. Not fabulous, but on a par with a cheap by-the-glass wine at a cheap restaurant - after all, these were simply 7.5 litre kits, no crushed grape packs etc.

Thing is, I'm darned if I can tell any difference between the Merlot and the PN =:O

I now make only the Showcase kits, as they seem like serious contenders, but would be interested to see if anyone has experience with the Classique cheapies, and has noticed the same thing.

thanks for any feedback

Bob, Maple Vly, WA

Last edited:
Haven't tried these, but your inability to tell the two apart reminds me of the fraud case from last year where a French vineyard conned Gallo into buying 18 million bottles of "Pinot" that was later determined to be a merlot/syrah blend.

As far as commercial wines are concerned, I personally don't think you really get much true Pinot character until you hit the $20-$30 range. Though I don't have much experience with Pinots from kits, I would assume the same is true on the lower end of the quality spectrum.

Latest posts

Back