caramelize port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Did somebody heard about caramelize a port, what I mean is to make caramel with sugar and add it to your port when it is time to condition it?

I ussually make Blackberry Port

I have not heard of this.... But it sounds goods.

I think it definitly deserves a small bench trial.

It might be better to find some caramel organic flavoring, otherwise wouldnt it cloud up your wine? Crackedcork

It was a wine judge who told me to caramelizemy port,he said it blend very well with Blackberry and raspberry port. So I will give it a try and I will let you know how it turn out.

Not sure about organic flavore, I tried chocolate flavor before and it did not work well.

Can you post the procedure you plan on using?

I dont know how to make carmel.....

Thanks

Goodfella said:
Can you post the procedure you plan on using?

I dont know how to make carmel.....

Thanks

I will, when I find out, I have 130 Lbs of Blackberries and 125 Lbs of Raspberry. I should be back home in 2 weeks.

I have added caramelized sugar to another higher abv liquid and it did work pretty good. How to caramelize sugar:

To start, add some water to
dry
sugar in a pot, stirring, until it reaches the
consistency of
wet sand. The acid from added lemon juice will help
prevent
recrystallization or you could just add some acid blend. </span>Heat the pan over a medium flame. As
the sugar melts, you can wash down the sides of a pan
with a
wet brush, which also prevents crystallization by
removing any
dried drops of syrup that might start crystals. </span>
As the caramel heats, it colors in
amber shades from light to deep brown.
Be careful as there is a point of saturation with over heating or adding to much sugar. Once its colored well let it cool down and then you could use it. It will add color also.
</span>

</span>

Wade said:
I have added caramelized sugar to another higher abv liquid and it did work pretty good. How to caramelize sugar:

To start, add some water to dry sugar in a pot, stirring, until it reaches the consistency of wet sand. The acid from added lemon juice will help prevent recrystallization or you could just add some acid blend. Heat the pan over a medium flame. As the sugar melts, you can wash down the sides of a pan with a wet brush, which also prevents crystallization by removing any dried drops of syrup that might start crystals. As the caramel heats, it colors in amber shades from light to deep brown.
Be careful as there is a point of saturation with over heating or adding to much sugar. Once its colored well let it cool down and then you could use it. It will add color also.

Thanks you just save me a lot of time
smiley1.gif
Can`t wait to start my Port, but I have to wait, Iam about to receive somesome grapes:Cab from California and Syrah from Washinton so it make take sometime to start my Port

Im also waiting for my Petite Syrah which should come in next weekend from Suisan Valley.

I back sweated my raspberry port with caramel (from 1.000 to 1.020), it turned out very good, like it a lot. Definitely going try it again next year, maybe more caramel this time, instead using sugar in the must I will use caramel too.
smiley4.gif
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thats what I did on this years Blackberry Port. I think this is going to be a great technique for us.

Thanks alot for the suggestion Casper.

Your are welcome
Did you have any problem to disolve the caramel in your wine, it took some time for me. If you have a tip to speed up this process please let me know.

It's tough....

Here's what I did.... and it's crazyness.....

Put plain sugar in a pan put on medium heat.... let it sit until the edges started to melt and turn brown... shake pan.... let more melt.... shake pan.... let more melt.... ect.... ect.

Once its melted I start introducing a little water as I wisk or stir it. It gets pretty tough and hardens a bit, separates a bit also. But eventually it blends and boils a bit... then I remove and let it cool.

How to caramelize sugar: (albeit to make flan )

I used to use Wades technique, but created a new one. I
combine 2/3 sugar with 1/3 water (in my case tablespoons)
in a Pyrex glass measuring cup (heavy duty with no chips)
stir it well one time

Place in microwave upon two thick wooden chopsticks.

Microwave on high, it will boil at first and then (transitioning fairly quickly ) caramelize.
Be careful, this is high heat, high risk, use good heavy oven mitts etc. It will not work if you don't use the chopsticks or equiv for a heat break between the container to the microwave floor. Now try Wades's acid and use it to back sweeten something ..

I will try to introduce water next time, not sure about the microwave technique.

I actually made two batches of caramel, the first one I put it in thePort too soon and it turned to chunks<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
smiley9.gif
, I wish my wife was there to warn me aboutthat.</v:shape>
The Port was not sweet enough so I made a second batch, while the caramel was still boiling I decided to blend it with a cup of oak chips I was going to add oak anyway, I poured it in a pan and break it in small pieces. I got small chunks of caramel with oak and I just put them in the Port, I stir itcouple time a day, et voila!!
smiley1.gif
but definitely need a faster way to introduce caramel, thanks you for your advises.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Latest posts

Back