Canning last weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the Apricot Salsa, raspberry jam (no pectin, low sugar).

DO you have a recipe for the hot peppers JohnT?

Russian Tears

Yes, This one was given to me by JamesNGalviston. I tried it last year. I ran out of them by January.

Story: I opened a jar of these peppers during a family hamburger cookout. My niece decided that she wanted to try one. I warned her that they were spicy, which made her want one even more. Well, she took one, ate it, and sat there without any expression as I studied her face for some kind of reaction.

She really did a good job of suppressing the agony she must have felt. She was desperate to show her toughness. After a minute or two, I noticed a tear run down her cheek.

"Are you crying??", I asked, "My cooking has never made anyone cry before!". We didn't stop laughing for 10 minutes.

Ever since that day, the peppers have been called "Russian Tears" and are VERY popular with my family. So popular, in fact, that I planted and entire flat of them this year.

Despite the name, they are not that hot. I like them on burgers, on tuna sandwiches, and even as a small side dish with a steak.

One tip: Make sure that the peppers are of a deep red color. The green ones so not taste nearly as nice and sweet!

Here is James` recipe. I like to also add just a little bit of mustard seed and celery seed 1/4 tsp of each added into each quart jar.

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds
hot cherry peppers, washed well and dried​
garlic cloves, halved​
dried bay leaves​
3/4 teaspoon
whole black peppercorns​
4 cups
white-wine vinegar (at least 5 percent acidity)​
1 1/3 cups
water​
1/4 cup
sugar​
1 1/2 teaspoons
coarse salt​

1. Trim cherry pepper stems. Divide peppers, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns among 2 quart-size and 1 pint-size sterilized glass jars.
  2. Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves. Pour hot pickling liquid over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace at tops. Can in water bath for 15 minutes.

Thanks JohnT! I'm totally going to source a few of these to try
Great story! :)

Latest posts

Back