canned/frozen blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
1 can Vintners Harvest Blueberry
9 lbs frozen blueberries
handful of light toast oak chips (primary)
10 lbs sugar
5 gallons water
5 campden tablets
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
Acid Blend to .65
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Red Star Montrachet

I have it ready toput together this weekend. I want to make it full bodied and am thinking about adding a few bananas, but don't want the banana taste to come though.

It should be fine without the bananas. Looks like a good recipe.

smiley20.gif

From my expierience with blueberry put some yeast energizer in if you can get some.

Thanks!She is firedup sitting at 70 degrees in the basement. I added 4 ounces of dried elderberries and some energizer and am waiting for her to talk to me.
smiley17.gif

Good idea with the elderberries. Keep us informed please. Is this a 6 gallon batch?

smiley25.gif

after reading some of your stuff i just had to try it
smiley1.gif

dried elderberries smell wonderful. i can't see how they would harm the blueberry flavor at all.

she's 5 gallons.firstwith oak.

It will be very good, but will require at least a year aging in the bottle to be at it's best, maybe more.I recommend bulk aging 6 months before bottling.

smiley20.gif

thanks hippie. i will plan on doing just that. she's singing rather nicely this morning. i moved her from the 70 degree basement up to the bedroom closet at 75. i can smell the sulfur
smiley1.gif

Good job jojo!

Moveit back down to the 70 degree room after you rack to glass.

Racking to glass and putting her downstairs.

She's at 1.010. Looking good and smelling kind of funky.

well, it smells like alcohol for sure. fruity fermentation. not rotten, but very ripe. the must tastes like wine. i'm sad she's more red than blue.

i learned not to put oak chips down the garbage disposal.

I think it's darkened in color. Maybe. About an inch and a half of lees. I am thinking that when it comes to top it off it might add up to a half gallon or so. She's almost dry (.998). Gurgling has stopped completely.

When the SG is unchanged for a week or so, it is finished. Stabilize and leave plenty of room for a couple or 3 days before topping up. Don't add a half gallon of water. Better to add a dryred wine or a previous blueberry wine, or use a smaller container.Edited by: Hippie

Thanks Hippie. I'll top up withsome good old Carlo Rossi.
smiley1.gif

She's stabilized, topped with Carlo Rossi Chianti, and sitting at .990.

Dark. Very, very dark she is.

Latest posts

Back