Can vines me moved easily ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sargan

Reaction score
My sister has 2 well established vines .... red wine grapes .... been unable to identify what they are.
Been told most likely Black Hamburgh - but can't be sure.

The Q is my sister wants rid of these ... she cuts them well back each year.
Currently planted in her unheated and pretty draughty greenhouse .......

I want to plant outdoor vines ... can vines be moved ... if so when and how ?

We tried moving one one last year in dormant period - moving it to a large container of ideal mix growing medium - it died.

I wanted some white vines and my neighbor has one. I cut off 2 canes. I now have 4 new vines. I simply cut the where there were 5 buds on each. Set them in pots covering 3 buds with a mixture of 50/50 peat moss/ pearlite . They say to plan on losing 1/2 of them I lost one plant due to setting them out to early and getting caught up in that huge freeze we had. I started mine in the house in Feb. Set them out in April. One little piece that was about 14 " long now has 2 8 foot long canes on it.

Yeah that's what i'd do, make cuttings off the canes and then try and dig it up. Good luck though.

It would depend on where you are located. That plus the fact that if the vine is currently in a green house, then it might bud out sooner because of the warmth. I'm in central Illinois and I usually get my cutting around mid to late March. Here again, you will need to gauge the weather and get them before the sap starts to flow. Last year, I got my cutting in mid-March and then not long after, we had a heat wave and everything budded out by late March. Of course, they all froze in April......what a year! As Bob1 said, you can start them in peat moss, and yeah, I'd be happy to get 50%. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back