RJ Spagnols Can I combine WE and RJS port kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
Now I'll make this interesting. Choc Rasp port still stuck after attempted restart with more yeast and nutrient. Stuck at 1.026. Here's my question: I have a Black Forest kit staring at me from the box. I'm thinking of starting it, and when the fermentation gets going, slowly add the CRP to it and end up with a double batch of yummy stuff. I'm not afraid to try, just wanna hear" off the record" that this is do-able. I bet it would taste great.

I cant remember who told me this is not a good idea but Im still new so wait till someone else can answer if you can combine the two.
Why dont you try to restart it by racking it off the old yeast then make a yeast starter : use about a 1/2 cup of warm water, dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in the water, add some orange juice to this mix, make sure the it very warm before adding a packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC-1118 yeast to this mixture. Wait until it really gets working. Take about a gallon of your must and warm it up to about 68° to 70° F. Now add the yeast starter to the gallon of must, as it starts to work and gets going, SLOWLY add small portions of the stuck fermentation a little at a time.
make sure the temperature of stuck wine is at least 70° F.
As the volume of the working must gets larger, you can add larger portions to the fermentation. Make sure the temperature is at least 70° F before you add it.

Thanks Tess. I practically did all you said, plus a few other tries. These WE port kits have been very tricky for me. I do use a brew belt. I even wrap the primary with light weight insulation and an old towel.

Not trying to ruin two kits. I'm trying to learn how to salvage this crazy port kit. I'm calling WE today. Time for a refund?

Two quick thoughts.

Contact WE. They provided a replacement kit for free when this happened to me last year when mine stuck.

I recovered the original kit. Started a batch of cab. When I racked it, I poured the port onto the cab lees, stirred, put a heater on it, and it took off. Never quite got all the way to the target sg but close enough and added 500ml of brandy to bring it rest of the way to abv.

Worth a try!

D.

Two quick thoughts.

Contact WE. They provided a replacement kit for free when this happened to me last year when mine stuck.

I recovered the original kit. Started a batch of cab. When I racked it, I poured the port onto the cab lees, stirred, put a heater on it, and it took off. Never quite got all the way to the target sg but close enough and added 500ml of brandy to bring it rest of the way to abv.

Worth a try!

D.

What was your ABV?

Latest posts

Back