Bulk Aging Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
Getting close to bulk aging a couple of kits. I will only be bulk aging for 3 months (max) on these particular kits so I can free up the carboys.

To get the bulk aging started I am going to rack off the lees/sediment, degass, stabilize and add the clarifiers. After doing so do I need to rack again before the 3 months are up or just let it sit for the entire time?

I plan on continuing to age in the bottle for another 6 months or so. I will probably try a bottle here and there after 3 months of bottle aging to see how it is coming along. Given this do I need add additional k-meta at the beginning of the bulk aging process or just before bottling?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Just want to make sure I get this right!

Thanks,

Pete

I let mine sit. I have added K-Meta when I stabilized so I don't need to add any for 3 months. I add 1/4 teaspoon at three months. If you are bottling then, still add K-Meta. Rack off the lees just before bottling.
smiley1.gif

IMO there are some variables here that would determine my course of action. The greater one being is how much sediment drops after I add the calrifiers. If I getaround a half inch of sediment I will go ahead and rack it again and let it finish. Thats just my opinion

Latest posts

Back