Brown wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgansw

Junior
Reaction score
I started a new white zinfandel kit two months ago and when I poured the must out of the bag, it was brown, similar in color to cola. I haven't used this brand kit before and thought maybe it would clear and turn more pinkish red in the process. It's now in the fining stage and now looks like apple juice and does not taste like I would expect at this stage. Could I have gotten a spoiled kit? Has anyone else seen this before? Thanks

I have had the same happen twice. In both cases the kits were old. They were both white wine and the must was brown. Neither of them cleared up. As a matter I fact, I was just looking at a bottle of the oldest one which is 6 mos old and it is the color of scotch.

With the newer one I started about 3 weeks ago. I contacted the retailer and they replaced it. The mfg date was May 2012 which is over 1 1/2 years old.
Check the date on the kit label.

I agree with Steve, you have an old kit, did you keep the original box? If so there is a date stamped on it. Either way, you need to contact the store that sold it to you and get a refund or a replacement kit, this time, I'd check the date on the box and have them open it to make sure that it is ok.

I ordered the kit on Amazon and unfortunately I don't have the box or packaging any more. I will contact the supplier tomorrow and see what they can do. Thanks so much for the responses.

Is the wine unpalatable? If not, hopefully you can get a replacement kit. Then bottle this one and call it UPS Wine and use it for general drinking to keep you out of your good stuff.

Amazon is super-cool on returns. File with them and see what they say. There is a way you can leave a comment with your return file. Tell 'em you made the kit so have nothing to return unless they want a bottle of the wine.

I ordered the kit on Amazon and unfortunately I don't have the box or packaging any more. I will contact the supplier tomorrow and see what they can do. Thanks so much for the responses.

My first bad kit was from Amazon too. Reserve Du Chateau. I contacted the manufacturer and their only response was that that there was a batch of that wine that had a dark must. No offer to replace it. I told them if they knew it was inferior, they shouldn't have sold it. I'm guessing that is why it was on Amazon.

ReserveDuChateauOrvieto

Last edited by a moderator:
Good News! I called Paklab today, who are the makers of the Vino Italiano, Cornucopia, Reserve du Chateau and Chateau Classico kits, and they asked me to email them a copy of the invoice, which was easy to print from Amazon, and they are sending me a new kit to replace this one. I've made several of their kits and never had a problem until this one and they are taking care of the problem.

Well done Morgan. I guess calling them was better than emailing them like I did. Next time I'll take your approach.
This is their exact reply to my email concerning the color.

"Hello, in fact last year we had one juice concentrate that was a little bit darker than usual. But this will not change the taste of your wine at all. Unfortunately we cannot lighten it up.
Thank you for choosing Paklab Products,"

End of discussion.

Latest posts

Back