Blueberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep us posted Dave. I've been very lazy with this one. I really need to rack, back sweeten with the concentrate and fortify.

OK. Wow. It's been a while since I updated this. I've racked once since last post and put some French oak on this. Today, after a racking, I FINALLY back sweetened with a 50/50 mix of concentrates - Merlot and Blueberry. I also fortified with Brandy. I'm going to let it sit a few weeks, so any sediment in the concentrates can settle out. Then I'll bottle.

PS: Mods, I guess this should be moved to the port/fortified wines section.

OK. Wow. It's been a while since I updated this. I've racked once since last post and put some French oak on this. Today, after a racking, I FINALLY back sweetened with a 50/50 mix of concentrates - Merlot and Blueberry. I also fortified with Brandy. I'm going to let it sit a few weeks, so any sediment in the concentrates can settle out. Then I'll bottle.

PS: Mods, I guess this should be moved to the port/fortified wines section.

Well, a few weeks turned into several months. :D I stole a sample from the carboy last night and this stuff rocks!! I'll be bottling before I move at the end of next month.

Can anyone tell me what flavor or just in general what the DME adds?

Also, if I base something off of this recipe, does it have to be a higher ABV?
I've got the ingredients coming for a blackberry wine and I think this recipe might do very nicely, but I'm not wanting it to be a port. I was thinking of making it around 12-13% ABV.

I think the DME is more about body/mouthfeel than flavor. But it also adds sugars. I think you could make a great 'regular', non-fortified wine based on the recipe.

Thanks.
I'll start my own thread so as not to threadjack yours anymore. I'd appreciate your input once I get rolling on it.

As with all steps on this wine, the final steps got delayed. I did NOT get this bottled before the move (which happened in May). In fact, I just got it bottled a week or so ago. After the move and some resting time, I actually gave it some more French oak. I'm really liking this batch. Just wanted to close the loop on this one and officially call it done.

Blueberry Port.jpg

Back