Blueberry Mead question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade said:
Just copied and pasted that recipe and will give it a try in the summer when we have fresh berries around, I will have to look into getting a honey like that though as I havent seen that around here.

You'll really like the mead wade ..... *but* ..... you're gonna' have to exercise self control as this mead really doesn't even begin to 'come together' until at least 18 months or so.

Michigan is a rather large producer of blueberries and it really isn't that hard to find a honey supplier who has some varietal blueberry honey available. If / when you're ready and you really want blueberry honey, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a contact.

- GL63

Wade and everyone else looking for varietal honey a great place to start is the National Honey Board: http://www.honeylocator.com/
An interesting project would be to make a few traditional meads out of just the honey no fruits or spices and compare the results of the different honeys on the mead.
VPC

It's been racked into the secondary - 6 gallons of blueberry goodness along with my JAO's and Raspberry/Zinfandel.
PC290003a.jpg

Looks fantastic! Glad to see I was not the only one busy racking today. My Blueberry Mel is still slowly chugging along, but it smells so good!
VPC

Yay, Wade can see the picture this time!!!
smiley36.gif

Thanks! Yeah, the honey/blueberry smell is a great combo. It's turning into a colorful collection, too. The raspberry zin is a hot reddish pink color but itisn't as obvious in the carboy.

Grant, Im to the point where I have soo much wine in my cellar that a batch could get lost for that amount of time and I wouldnt even know it!
smiley4.gif

Wade now is the time to make a mead! Then you can lose it in your cellar for 5 years. Just leave it in the carboy in a corner and you'll need to buy a new carboy to make up for this one being full. We have just started using kegs to bulk age. They take up less room and are much easier to move.
VPC

I also have a few of those, 1 has a cream ale in it and the other has sparkling crab apple. I have plenty of carboys available. Im waiting till blueberries are in season though as I have a good contact for those for this coming year. My friends nieghbor has a tom of them that no one knew about until 2 weeks ago when i brought a bottle over to her for Christmas. Being nice always pays off!

Update: 1year and 4 months later... it's still in the same carboy. Took a swig while racking and OMG this is incredible stuff (if I do say so myself).
smiley20.gif
Dry light honey flavor and aroma mixed with a light blueberry aroma and aftertaste. Don't have bottles right now, so it'll just have to bulk age a while longer and hopefully get even better.

Latest posts

Back