Blending - oak before or after?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedPlanetWinery

Reaction score
I have 6 gal each of Foch and Chambourcin that have been cold stabilizing. I intend to blend some from each so that I end up bottling three different wines. My official taster (the wife) says the Foch should not be oaked and the Chambourcin should be. Question is, would you recommend that I oak the Chambourcin before I start bench trials for blending, or wait and oak the blend separately (assuming the wife thinks the blend needs oak)? This is my first try at blending anything. I know I could do it either way, just wondering if your experience suggests one way or the other is more likely to give best results.

Typically blending is done closer to bottling. So any oak aging would have been done prior to blending. I think it depends on what your goal is and how much time you want to age before bottling.

My personal preference would be to make the wines separate to express the best individual qualities I am considering for the blend - including oak - then blend to taste. You will have a better idea of the final product doing that. If you oak after blending, then you don't have the control to alter the blend if it doesn't integrate well.

Latest posts

Back