WineXpert Black Raspberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
Hiya all,
Started a I.M. Black Raspberry Merlot last night. It looks very deep dark red. This is my first red wine type kit. OK….
smiley3.gif
Soooooo…why did nobody tell me not to come strait home from work and not change out of my nice work shirt when doing a red wine!
smiley36.gif
Too funny. That red wine seems to jump out of the primary and want to get on everything.

20070724_061252_brm1.JPG

20070724_061328_brm2.JPG

Cajun that is a good low alcohol wine you chose. It can tend to be a touch on the sweet side if you use the whole F-Pack. For a wine just as it was inteded - follow directions exactly. If you don't want a really sweet wine with a higher alcohol content- you can put half the F-Pack in the primary- refrigerating the remainder in the resealed pouch. You can also add 5# sugar or equivalent sweetener. Make sure to check the SG bedfore ferment. It should end up between 11-12% ABV this way and about 7-8% made to directions.

What World Vineyards kit is that one sitting there next to the primary?

Red wine get on your clothes, cher? Jeeze you shoulda seen my son and me doing our first bottling/capping session. The scene looked like something out of the Soprano's or Godfather. Red stuff all over the place as doofus (me) kept trying to get the sediment out of the siphon (which doofus jr let get too low) and the tube leaked all over the floor of our patio.

Appleman, funny you should mention that. This is the second I.M. kit I make and just as you said, I had 5# of sugar ready to go and then backed out at the last minute. I have one more I.M. kit to make and then I think I will start uping the ABV.
The World Vin kit is a Italian Pinot Grigio. It’s on a post a few down from here.
Finguy, I wish I starter this hobby a few years ago so I could have enjoyed it with my son also.

Cajun

Is it wrong that my helper/son is only 16?

He finds the whole thing kinda funny....Dad making wine..."suure he is"
smiley36.gif

He didn't like chemistry but enjoys the physics aspect of how to get the stuff from box to bottle.

BTW we were in Thibodeaux recently for the Manning Passing Academy and I got a chance to introduce him to some gumbo, red beans, and etouffe.Edited by: Finguy

When I made the Strawberry White Merlot for my daughter (her girlie wine) I added half of the F pack in the primary, plus 1# sugar. The net result was a slightly sweet wine with an ABV of about 9.5%. She likes it very much.

Peterz, That is what I am thinking I will do. Just 1# or 2#. I want to keep the ABV to around10% +/- .

When I made the Strawberry White Merlot for my daughter (her girlie wine) I added half of the F pack in the primary, plus 1# sugar. The net result was a slightly sweet wine with an ABV of about 9.5%. She likes it very much.

Back