Black Currant back to back?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I am going to do two batches of Black Currant back to back. Any benefit to putting the second batch on the left over lees from the first batch in the primary fermenter? I will probably add raisins to the second batch also.

Coaster, the main benefit is that you do not have to add any extra yeast! And the old dead yeast left over, will act as nutrient for the new batch. It's a great way to do things.

I also do this with beer, but after about 3 batches on the same yeast, and they start to mutate into something you don't want. At least beer yeast does, and I've never taken a wine yeast past 2 runs.

I agree with Dean. Just be ready for a vigorous fermentation at the outset. After primary fermentation, I took the pomace from my Syrah and added it to a VR Zinfandel and the yeast on the pomace/pressed grapes began a quick and robust fermentation. You have a super pitching of yeast. Hope the size of your fermenter can handle it. Edited by: dfwwino

Thanks Guys. I started the first batch at 1.100 and racked last night at 1.040 (sooner than I wanted but I am going out of country Sat). I had made up a 6.5 gal batch. After racking I left about 3/4 gal in the fermenter (to keep the carboy from blowing through the airlock) and mixed up the new batch. I added 2 pounds of sugar more than I planned so starting SG of batch is 1.120. In my experince, black currant is a slow started (~36 hours). For batch 2 I had a strong rolling fermentation in a coule of hours using the 3/4 gal starter. For batch 2 I added 1.5 pounds of raisins and some tannin.

Latest posts

Back