RJ Spagnols Big Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Reaction score
I'd like to make a few really BIG Cabernet Sauvignon's so I am open to input,I'll even break down and let it get some age on it.Looks like the RJ Spagnols products are the way to go based upon the great feedback I've seen here but I am veryopen to feedback. Any recommendations out there folks?

I have a RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Cal. Cab/Sauv Grape pack Vince and if you want to try a bottle before you buy Vince just PM me and we'll meet up or cmon over and Ill give you some wines to try and as you know I have lots of it!

Yup, the Winery series Cab is very nice, and so is the EP Coastal Cab. However, both need a good amount of age to truly get outstanding. How much age? 18 months and higher. Patience is rewarded greatly. So, what can you do to achieve this? Make 2 kits! Drink 1 while the other ages. You can also try to make 3 or even 4.

I don't work for RJS or George, but totally agree with the above methodology.

For those that are happy with these big reds did you add additional oak or only use what came with the kit? I also am seeking that red that I will be thrilled to drink. The MM AJ kits are the best I have tried thus far and have not been very pleased. Ready to move on. Appears from this forum that kits with skins are the way to go.

IMO, if youre looking for the BIG REDS then grape skin kits will get you there although I have never tried the MM Masters or Meglioli kits. I like more oak then just about any kit so far has offered so I always wait to see what its like then add some more oak at bulk age time!

The Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab is a skins kit that has had some excellent reviews as well. Which ever kit you choose I do agree that patience will be the key. And like Wade I like the extra oak as well.
VC

Vcasey, I am glad to hear good reviews on the CC Red Mtn Cab because mine is bottled and will be a yr old in Feb 10.
smiley4.gif

That one is at the top of my list along with RJS's Rosso Grande. I just pick up 2 new carboys but they'll be busy with a couple of meads for a while.
VC

Latest posts

Back