Mosti Mondiale Best Merlot Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I am contemplating making Merlot for my father for Christmas. I'm not a Merlot fan, but I was looking at the MM Merlot, the Renaissance Old Vines Merlot and the WE Stags Leap Merlot. If you've had any experience with any of these kits, I'd appreciate your comments.

I can only say that I have made the Stags Leap Merlot of the three - but it may well be one of the best reds I've made to date, and I've made a few! It is about a year old and tasting very good!!!! You can't go wrong with that one.

My MM's are all way too young to make a comparison yet.

DFW, I hope you are talking about Christmas '08, or that your father is a patient man.

Thanks Maize for the input.

Peter, I suppose you could say I'd be making a last-minute wine for Christmas, which is consistent with all of my last-minute holiday shopping. I could bottle it a few days before Christmas, and then begin my annual dash to the stores. While I usually bulk age all my wine, Winexpert does claim the Stag's Leap Merlot's "soft tannins allow enjoyment after three months. Ideal after six months to a year." Fortunately, two cases of wine will last my father probably two years and he is a patient man. Perhaps I'llbottle 3 gallonsin December to give him one case, then bulk age 3 gallons for six more months and give him another case for his birthday. Unfortunately, I could never plan a Christmas gift 1.5 years in advance as you suggest. Edited by: dfwwino

Before I purchase the Stag's Leap, has anyone tried the MM all-juice Merlot or the MM Renaissance Old Vines Merlot?

Back