Barrel repair

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangojack

Reaction score
I have 5gal wooden kegs and would like to know what kind of sealer to use to stop the leaks,I have filled with sterile water and tighten the hoops,just wondering if there is awax that can be used?Thanks

I usually take the barrel place in a laundry tub. fill the barrel with water and the tub with water until barrel is submerged. soak for two days should take care of any leaks.

i think in the old days they would fill with water untill the stopped leaking.
i dont have one, but that is what i would do.

you can buy cheap parafin at home depot, just get a 1.97 toliet flange seal...100 percent beeswax.

i think in the old days they would fill with water untill the stopped leaking.
i dont have one, but that is what i would do.

you can buy cheap parafin at home depot, just get a 1.97 toliet flange seal...100 percent beeswax.
ok thanks,James

I usually take the barrel place in a laundry tub. fill the barrel with water and the tub with water until barrel is submerged. soak for two days should take care of any leaks.
Thanks Sal,I give it a try.

ok thanks,James
The toilet ring wax worked great,used a torch the wax ran in the head where it meets the staves,loosen the top hoop on both ends melted the wax tighten the hoop
.let it sit over night filled with hot water and ez clean let it sit for another 48 hrs.emptied ,filled with wine no leaks.Thanks again James.

Latest posts

Back