Barrel management

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After our fire, we traveled around visiting many wineries to pick up ideas, tips and nuances for our rebuilding. One major dividing point in wineries that I noticed were ones committed to oak and those to just stainless. I was more in awe of the wineries and I enjoyed their red wines more.

We have begun accumulating oak. Found a nice cooperage down south that customs the barrels to what we want and also has used whiskey barrels for our crafted hard cider. In a short time we have a good amount of wood rolling around the still unfinished production area. I say rolling around cause it seems like we have moved them all a hundred times as construction progresses.

The question I have is on barrel management, dating, tracking usage, etc. anyone have a good system?

I would suggest you contact the barrel manufacturer. They should be able to give you some help with this issue.

I know that some wineries use a numbering system of the form...

year/varietal/sequesnce, and write this (usually) on the barrel head with either chalk or grease crayon.

For example.. 08MER001 would be 2008 / Merlot / barrel number 1.
They also tend to write the date that the wine was placed into the cask as well.

Thanks. Yes I have seen some different numbering systems. What about second or third soak, or when it becomes neutral. When a different grape is put in? Perhaps a simple number and date system for each barrel and track it's use age off barrel.

It's simple I think when a winery has one vintage. One port maker used a simple system - circle when it was filled first time, a line through the circle the second and on the third another line to make an x in the circle. Then it was neutral.

Oh well perhaps we need to reinvent.

Back