Barolo not working

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avante

Junior
Reaction score
Hello...my first thread! I have 6 batches of wine on the go...started last Monday....they all started working within 24 hours and 5 of them are still working one week later...the Barolo quit working two days ago...should I be concerned about the Barolo? thanks for you help !

The only way to know is to check the SG on it. It is possible that it is done with fermenting, but the only way to know is to check the SG and have no more drop for 3 readings over a few day period.

What were your starting SG or Brix?

ps welcome to the forum

Hello...my first thread! I have 6 batches of wine on the go...started last Monday....they all started working within 24 hours and 5 of them are still working one week later...the Barolo quit working two days ago...should I be concerned about the Barolo? thanks for you help !

I suggest that you do two things...

1) get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the wine that stopped. This will tell you how much sugar remains. If the sugar is less than 1%, then you have had a complete fermentation and all is well.

2) if you do not have access to a hydrometer, then simply tast how sweet the wine is. You could also check the temperature of the wine to see just how fast the wine is fermenting.

If you have 6 batches going and don't have a hydrometer, go get one today. Just because your not seeing action does not mean it is not working(fermenting)Eyes are not a good judge. ears and nose work better.
Yes a wine can ferment dry in 5 days while a batch right next to it will take a month. BTW Barolo I have made has all finished at .993 If you are at .990 when you check it it is finished. Rack it off and let the aging begin

I suggest that you do two things...

1) get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the wine that stopped. This will tell you how much sugar remains. If the sugar is less than 1%, then you have had a complete fermentation and all is well.

2) if you do not have access to a hydrometer, then simply tast how sweet the wine is. You could also check the temperature of the wine to see just how fast the wine is fermenting.

To explain a little further and also clear up the fact that hydrometers do not measure percent of sugar...pure water has zero sugar and the hydrometer should float at 1.000.

Hydrometers actually measure the WEIGHT of the liquid. Heavier liquids (such as those with sugars) have higher gravity readings....as the sugar is used up and turned to alcohol the liquid becomes thinner or "less heavy".

The link below takes you to a good visual from grape stompers.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrometer_use.htm

Either way.....you can't do much good wine making without one.

Yep, probably finished early but we need an sg reading to verify it.

Latest posts

Back