Bare Root Dormancy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cenk57

Reaction score
I did a quick search on here and to my surprise, I did not find an answer to my question. So, I'll post it here.

Two weekend's ago I planted bare root plants from AA. This large planting consisted of Concord, Edelweiss, Marquette, Vidal and Valvin Muscat. I am located in coastal Virginia (7B). When should I expect these vines to break dormancy and show signs of growth?

Thanks!

AA will harvest plants and store them in refrigeration till they are shipped. With dormant wood as scions this can be weeks.
Breaking dormancy is measured by growth, the main factor which promotes growth is heat, ,,, temperatures in the80s should be a day and maximum air temperatures in the 60s a few weeks. ,,, and soil temperature ,,, and also maintain soil moisture

Get you some grow sleeves and place over the vines they will work as greenhouses. The vines will have to adapt to your soil It might be a few weeks before you see anything. Strange you are in 7b in Virginia I'm in 7b in West Georgia

Get you some grow sleeves and place over the vines they will work as greenhouses. The vines will have to adapt to your soil It might be a few weeks before you see anything. Strange you are in 7b in Virginia I'm in 7b in West Georgia
I have grow tubes on the vines. I was figuring a month or so before I see growth. I am just curious as to what "normal" would be. That is funny you are in 7B as well. I am located very near the Chesapeake Bay. I'm guessing because our temps very, very rarely drop below 10 F we are 7B. There are 8A zones within 30 miles, some 6A zones within 50 miles of me and 5A zones within 150 miles. Virginia has a wild swing in climates from the water the mountains, lol.

Back