Apple Juice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I'm thinking add energizer and more stirring. What's the temperature?Acid test?Edited by: jojo

I have an equipment kit en route to my house with all the trimmings. Unfortunately, I've built my equipment arsenal piece-meal and don't have a hydrometer or test kits yet, but will very soon.

No worries Steve. The hydrometer will come in handy for sure. I want to say the tests matter (they do), but so far I've gotten some pretty good looking and smelling stuff without all of them. It sounds like you're a bit hooked. I've only been doing this since last April. I have one kit bottled and just bottled my first fruit wine - banana. I've been to other sites that get a bit anal on the science. It's just my personal preference. The folks here make it fun.

If it tastes good to you...who cares?
smiley4.gif

Seriously though, for 'notes' purposes, I plan to get a 1/2 gallon of the same juice I used and add 1/2 lb of the same sugar I used. This will give me a SG. By the time I have my hydrometer, it will more than likely be fermented out anyway, so then I can get a pretty close FG to figure out ABV.

I've got a gallon of ancient orange melomel going, and used the same base recipe for ancient blueberry, which is coming along VERY nice. I like it more than the orange.

We've got an incredible blueberry patch outside of KC that has the best berries around. They also have blackberries. I think I'm going to have to invest in a blueberry rake!!! I've got 6lbs left in the freezer form this summer that is going to have to make up a 3 gallon batch of blueberry wine, but I think I'll start a 5 gallon batch of frozen-strawberry first.

you got me curious steve - is the orange melomel an ancient secret?
smiley9.gif

10/9 - gave another good healthy stir...foam foam foam

10/10 - yet another good healthy stir...less foam.

I plan on racking to glass tomorrow. Will post a pic when I do.

Steve,

If you just get a SG reading of the apple juice I can help you crunch the numbers to figure out the starting gravity without having too mix it with sugar.

OK, so now the 750mL bottle has cleared completely, but the carboy is still cloudy. I plan to rack at 30 days, and will top up with the bottle. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Dad-nabbit.

My wife flew off to Atlanta, GA this morning with the camera in her purse. Oh well...will have to wait until 12/4 for a pic.

Latest posts

Back