Apple Cranberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Bottled my Apple Cranberry wine today. Total was 10 gals and 5 gals was oaked with 1/2 oz of Heavy Toast French oak cubes. The taste is good now and can't wait until it has time to age out some. Based on the taste now I should have oaked all of it but it will be good to compare the two later on.

Even though it looked really clear I chose to filter just to be sure. I have a Vinbrite gravity filter and use my V-Vessel to help with the filtration.

2006-01-16_142435_Filtering_1.JPG

The bottom of the V-Vessel has a 1/2 inch hose so I had to reduce it down to the 3/8 hose inlet to the filter. I only have one inlet to the filter and no vent like the one in Martina's pictorial.

2006-01-16_142938_Filtering_2.JPG

Filtered all 10 gals through 1 pad and paperand didn't notice any change in the wine so most likely didn't need it.

Really need some skills with lighting to take a good picture but this is the best I could do for now!

Can you tell which one is oaked?
smiley36.gif

2006-01-16_143211_Finished_Bottles.JPG

Took this shot inside the fridge with a white piece of paper behind the glass....what a photo hacker!

2006-01-16_143312_Glass_pic.JPG

You should cut and paste that image of the glass with the reflection for some label. Looks fantastic!

(Oh yeah, I guessed which one was the oaked one.)
smiley36.gif

Great looking wine! Looks almost like brandy
smiley20.gif
. From the color of the two bottles in the photo, I can't tell much difference in the two, but the labels help
smiley2.gif

Masta,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the unoaked one in 5 or 6 months. Mine took on an almost reisling like quality in the crisp freshness of the acidity as opposed to being just tart like it was at the start.

Nice Masta.....Very Nice
smiley32.gif
Was intrigued by the V-Vessel too. Is this made for wine making or something you adapted fo your use. Dont recall ever seeing one before.

Masta,

How long did it take to clear. I've had my cranberry apple clearing for over a
month now and it is definitely NOT clear.

Peter,

It was 2 months after stabilizing and sweetening with apple juice concentrate. I didn't log adding any fining agent but can't tell you I didn't use any for sure.
smiley5.gif

Valley Brew is getting a laptop this week so hopefully I will take some better notes!
smiley36.gif

Here is the recipe I used for my apple cranberry wine. This was the first wine I had trouble with getting fermentation to start and it was due to the amount of cranberry concentrate I used. I started with only a 6 gallon batch but when the yeast did nothing I found the TA up around .80% and a pH of 3.24.

After trying to bring up the pH with many Tums (didn't have any plain calcium carbonate) I choose to increase the batch size to 10 gals. This lowered the TA and increased the pH to a point the yeast could survive and do it's thing.

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" ="disc">
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">6 gallons <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:pLACE>Clyde</ST1:pLACE>’s Apple Cider
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">3.75 gallons of Grocery Store brand Natural Apple Juice
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">2 lbs <ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Tupelo</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY> Honey
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">40 oz brown sugar
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">115 oz white sugar
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">5 oz chopped dried cranberries
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">19 oz chopped raisins
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">20 oz cranberry concentrate (Brownwood Acres)
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">½ tsp grape tannin
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">2 tsp yeast energizer
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">4 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">10 grams Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">4 cans of apple juice concentrate (2 per each 5 gal for sweetening)</LI>[/list]
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p><O:p> Total Volume: 10 gals Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back