Anything special to consider when planting on a hill?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Junior
Reaction score
We are going to plant a few rows of grapes and start making our own wine.

The spot I have in mind is on a slight hill. It's really the only logical spot for us with good sun short of planting in our front yard. The area with good sun is about 100' x 60' wide. I have attached a picture showing the hill (see arrow) as viewed from our house.

Was wondering if there is anything you need to consider differently when planting on a hill. I have a small compact utility tractor with a loader so if there is any advantage to terracing it I can.

Rich

vineyard.jpg

Looking at the shadows of the trees - I am guessing to the right hand side of the picture. Unless it is in the morning and sun is coming up - then the west would be on the left hand side.

That hill is not any real concern. Keep the area seeded and mow it to cut any real erosion concerns. You will be getting shade part of the day no matter what and that will limit ripening a bit, but it should work.

Left is west. That is morning sun. For the most part because the closest trees are lower towards the stream it stays sunny all day.

I am looking towards the north from the house.

Latest posts

Back