Other Anyone try these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
Ok so I just picked me up a couple of Paklab kits. Being a regular customer of RJS I have never heard of these. I know they're a cheap kit so quality isn't to be expected as high but...
They come as a two/for (2 individual kits each making 6 gal that you can blend or make separate) ,with labels,corks and shrinkwraps .I got the Sangiovese/Shiraz for $54 which is $27 a kit and the Zinfandel/Carmenere for $53. My thought was if nothing else I can use them for grape concentrates, but has anyone tried these?

I think Joe has used a couple of those in his tweak threads...

My Dad has made them following the directions, and they are kind of awful. Very cheap tasting.

Lol. Considering they're very cheap in cost I wasn't expecting any different in taste. I found that with RJS HE kits as well.
Sometimes though you find a cheap wine that tastes every bit as good as a medium priced wine.
I'll maybe try a few tweaks and age for a year+ and see.(Can't be any worse than my beet wine :) )

I have used several Paklab kits and with a few tweaks they can make a decent wine. That being said, i probably will not make them again. They are great for beginners, great learning experiences.

I've never seen them in store either but they're online (in Canada) shipping is included in that price I posted.Thats why I figured if nothing else they can be used as concentrates for my fruit wines

I picked up the Sonoma Valley Riesling by International Series in-store through Costco's recent wine road show - it's my second wine so following the directions pretty closely and so far it's looking and smelling great.

Here's a shot a day after I racked to secondary.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411947366.935377.jpg

I'm not really familiar with the costco kits but I normally top up in my secondary so it's within 2 inches of the bung. I know some kit 's (ie cellarcraft) say you don't have to because it's not in carboy long enough but I always have felt safer doing so. What's the SG at? It looks like it's still active so you maybe don't need to worry about topping up right away.
(it is a fun hobby though right? ;) )

Hiya! Mine is still super active (took another shot this morning) so I think I'm safe for a little while. I was just reading this weekend about different methods for topping up - I'm leaning towards the marbles route.

My understanding is that most folks don't top up until fermentation stops and they are moving to clearing.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411998458.863579.jpg

Latest posts

Back