Another overdone K Meta situation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arieh

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

Glad to have just joined this forum...just in time it seems!

I crushed just over 100kg Merlot last Thursday to yield 82l: Brix 23; pH 4.2. The grapes had come in fridge trucks from Puglia, Italy (2-3 days) but looked healthy so I was a bit taken aback by the high pH, although they did have a heat wave of a summer. Anyway, I guess I panicked and added 18g K meta (125ppm by my calc) and then cold soaked at around 5c, stirring 2/3 times a day, until today (Sunday).

Today I managed to lower pH to 3.5 with Tartaric Acid (which I should have done before the K meta!), raised temp to 25c and added Tronozymol nutrient (1 tsp per 4.5l), followed by hydrated Vitilevure MT yeast.

I guess I'll see in the next few days whether this has any chance, but in the meantime I feel sick to my boots about the K Meta debacle. I have an Acuvin testing kit on its way to me but am praying the free SO2 in my must will be just low enough...:0

Any thoughts / help you can give me?

Thanks!

Checked on the baby this morning. No visible activity but the must temp is 21c vs ambient temp of 17c so maybe something is happening?...

My Accuvin reading seems to show around 52 ppm which I am amazed and relieved at (assuming my eyes aren't playing tricks).

However I'm wondering whether I can kiss hope of Mlf goodbye, on account of the total SO2 in my must?

Still waiting for any sign if fermentation. Have wrapped tank in electric blanket and maintaining 24c

Latest posts

Back