Alt fermentation containers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the vessel is stainless steel I don’t see why not. I don’t think you’d want to use an aluminum one though, wine is fairly acidic and it may well leach aluminum from the pot. You could just cover it with a towel instead of the lid.
If you’re talking about allowing it to build pressure I’d say perhaps, I know beer can be successfully fermented under modest pressure but not sure about wine.

If the pressure cooker is not stainless steel, do NOT use it.

Assuming it's SS, I'd lay a towel over the top.

@Jim Welch's article spoke of speeding up fermentation by containing the heat. That may not be desired, as while hotter fermentations can extract more color, the wine loses aromatics.

Yes, I saw that in the OP, but I took it to reference beer making under pressure, specifically lagers which normally require a fermentation temperature around 45-55 degrees F. I’ve not done that but from what I’ve read folks make good lagers in the 70’s under pressure. Plus the higher temperatures greatly speeds up a lager fermentation, I’ve made a couple lagers and the nearly refrigerated temps leads to a very long fermentation relative to say a Belgian style which is my favorite beer to make.
At any rate he stated he fermented (a Rose) at 26 degrees C which is about 77 degrees F, not too high I believe. He has a picture of his fermenter in a refrigerator, no doubt he uses a temperature controller for his brewing chamber, that’s what I do to except I made my own giant fridge.

But the higher the temperature in wine making, the poorer the wine is likely to be - Ssee Daniel Pambianchi's recent article in The Wine Maker magazine. So, sure making beer under pressure may result in a beer that is ready to bottle faster. But wine ain't beer. Being able to bottle a wine sooner is not necessarily a good thing..

For those worried about the type of container that you are using as your fermenter. There are plastic food-grade plastic bags (5-gallon) that you can use, that will protect your must from the container. Also makes for easy clean-up, especially for the beginners that aren't able or don't want to invest too money into the hobby as yet.

Back